Should I retake this class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newideas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...I wanted to retake Organic Chem 1 this summer and wanted some feedback.

Firstly, here are my grades.

Gen Chem 1 B
Gen Chem 2 B
Gen Bio 1 B
Gen Bio 2 A
English 1 B
English 2 A
Orgo 1 C
Orgo 2 B
Phys 1 B
Phys 2 C
A&P 1 C
A&P 2 B
Elementary Calc. C
Some humanities courses with mostly As and some Bs.

I just finished my junior year. I messed up my first two years of college at a community college. This third year when I transferred to a four year university as a Bio major, I am doing much better (Third year GPA is about 3.56). My overall GPA for all three years is about 3.2.

I am taking Calculus 1 in this summer at my community college.

Now, I want to retake Organic 1 at the community college (where I first took it). I can't take it at my university because it's too expensive. Is that a good idea? Will it look weird to repeat Orgo 1 after taking Orgo 2 and Biochem (Bs in both)? I'll try my best to get an A this time.

I also wanted to ask whether pharmacy schools look at ONLY the prerequisite GPA or do they look at the GPA for entire 4 years after you complete your bachelor's?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If they use PharmCAS, they look at everything. It would help if you told us what schools you are thinking about applying to because all schools are different. Those of us with some experience with a certain school can weigh in. Unless you have an abysmal GPA (and you don't), I don't usually suggest retaking courses. The key is to be stronger in other areas: LORs, PCAT, EC's. It would help if you included some more information so we can get an accurate picture of your relative "competitiveness".

Last edited:
^ Hey rxlea, how do Pharm schools look at Math GPA? I have a 3.6+ Sci GPA but my math is a 2.7, given that I only took Int. Math and College Algebra.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response rxlea. I have been lurking sdn forums for a long time now and have always liked your responses and feedback. So, I was very happy to see that you replied. Lol...

I am planning to apply to University of Maryland, Howard, Appalachian college of pharmacy, Shehnandoah, VCU, Temple and some schools in CA (University of Pacific).

I have taken PCAT twice and did terrible (40 is the better composite). I am planing to retake it in September and this time, really study.

I have a couple months of hospital pharmacy experience and some months of retail pharmacy experience as a pharmacy tech. I have some volunteer experience of about a year in a senior citizen home.

good working experience, should hopefully help you get some solid LOR's.

i would say don't waste your time retaking orgo1 especially since you improved your grade in orgo2. In fact everything in your list has an upward trend which is good except for your physics, but those classes typically don't build much from my experience. Anyways I believe pharmacy schools look at all your grades but definitely put more weight on your science gpa. I would say focus on calc this summer and other areas such as volunteering, work, etc

gl

^ Hey rxlea, how do Pharm schools look at Math GPA? I have a 3.6+ Sci GPA but my math is a 2.7, given that I only took Int. Math and College Algebra.

It is all separated out in PharmCAS in categories. I believe math is separate from science. I am sure they do consider it but most schools are going to weigh your science grades more (especially chemistry). Since you have only taken a couple of math courses, I cannot imagine it making/breaking your application, especially since you have a competitive sGPA. Does this help?

Thanks for your response rxlea. I have been lurking sdn forums for a long time now and have always liked your responses and feedback. So, I was very happy to see that you replied. Lol...

I am planning to apply to University of Maryland, Howard, Appalachian college of pharmacy, Shehnandoah, VCU, Temple and some schools in CA (University of Pacific).

I have taken PCAT twice and did terrible (40 is the better composite). I am planing to retake it in September and this time, really study.

I have a couple months of hospital pharmacy experience and some months of retail pharmacy experience as a pharmacy tech. I have some volunteer experience of about a year in a senior citizen home.

Gator gives good advice. You are applying broadly, so that is good. Your work experience is going to be valuable in getting you an interview. I would play that up in your personal statement or supplementals somehow. You are a bit weak with the EC's but that's OK as long as you can get some strong letters of recommendation. Adcoms like to see upward trends, which you have. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Write a strong PS and apply early. The PCAT would be the only thing to set you back but I know people who got in with PCATs worse than yours. Make sure you do meet the minimum requirements to apply though. I think Maryland requires at least a 25 in each subsection of the PCAT. If you have below that, you will have to retake it, unfortunately. The PCAT forum has some good advice on how to better prepare for the PCAT.