Should i retake??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysitbon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would retake! With your GPA if you could get to a 24/25 you would be in a much more secure place. Only retake though if you have time to fully prepare and study.

Did you study much for the first time?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could apply as a URM and try your luck. But having two subscores under an 8 is worrisome to most schools

Hi Everyone!!
Well i just got my MCAT score back and I got 7,6,8 (21 total).
My under gpa is 3.4, and i received my bachelor in neuroscience from UCLA.
Will apply as an african american.

I have lots of research in 2 neuro labs and volunteered for over a year in the ucla hospital.
I currently work as a clinical assistant for a spine surgeon.

What are my chances?
Should i retake the MCAT? ( I know it's my weakest point)

Thanks everybody!!

Yes, I think you should retake. Do you want to stay in CA? Touro-CA and Western both like higher MCATs.

If you don't care which school you attend then I think you have a chance at the newer schools

You really should not be accepted with a 21. No one should.

Reactions: 6 users
You really should not be accepted with a 21. No one should.

This maybe harsh, but I agree with it to some extent. Besides, with a score of 21, there's plenty of room for improvement. Heck, if you improve each section by 1 point only, your chances will be much, much better.

Take it from someone who improved his score by 8 points.

Reactions: 1 users
People got accepted to M.D. with 21, so why OP should not get into D.O. with the same score?

If you tried your hardest and the best you can do is a 21 after multiple attempts I do not think you should be a doctor, MD or DO. You are going to have a rough time with boards and I'd be surprised if you ever become a good diagnostician.

If you didn't study very much or had a panic attack or something; fine.

If you tried your hardest and the best you can do is a 21 after multiple attempts I do not think you should be a doctor, MD or DO. You are going to have a rough time with boards and I'd be surprised if you ever become a good diagnostician.

Do you think there should be a minimum MCAT score to get into MD/DO school? If so, what that score should be?

Do you think there should be a minimum MCAT score to get into MD/DO school? If so, what that score should be?

Hah.

I guess I would say you should be at least average, so Id say a 25 should be the minimum. Obviously this is just my opinion.

I mention this before, but I know at my school, those with a 27+ had no trouble with course work or passing the boards. Those with a 24 or below had trouble with either school exams or board exams. People with a 25-26 were kind of a toss up.

nevermind

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a dick

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=28586&refname=Search Results&refuri=search,search_school:161,psr:0,orderby:,order:

this person took the MCAT 3x and it looks like their highest was 21. They got into WVSOM this year.

in before others say "you don't know the rest of their story and DO schools look at the whole applicant and maybe they had amazing life experiences and MCAT has no correlation with anything and I know an amazing doctor who had an 18 and my friend with a 35 failed step I".

It does not matter how great one's EC's or personality are-- if you cannot pass your boards you cannot practice medicine. WVSOM will have done this individual a great disservice if they end up unable to graduate due to board failures.
I really don't know what to make of the MCAT TBH... Three M.D. schools in PR have average MCAT scores 20-22 and these students pass step1 and become clinicians... Remember that the board does not have VR and MOST people who can't crack a 26+ in the MCAT is because of that section

The average for black matriculated students is a 22. I don't see you having a good reason to retake unless you are applying to schools that have higher cut offs.

My classmates generally agree when this topic comes up, regardless of your overall score, the BS section is the best predictor of success in medical school/board exams. I don't care what XYZ studies show saying VR has a correlation, that is the biggest joke next to VR on the SAT having a correlation with success in undergrad.

My classmates generally agree when this topic comes up, regardless of your overall score, the BS section is the best predictor of success in medical school/board exams. I don't care what XYZ studies show saying VR has a correlation, that is the biggest joke next to VR on the SAT having a correlation with success in undergrad.
That has been my point all along in SDN... I studied with my friend--an AA whose primary language is English and I am an ESL. I think I got a better grasp of the PS/BS sections than him... he got 7/11/8 and I got 9/6/9... He got multiple iis and a couple of acceptances and I am sitting here restudying for that stuff because of VR... I am not too sure he will do better than me because of his high VR score if we both were given the chance , then again I don't know. I am sure adcoms put emphasis on that section (VR) for a reason.

Last edited:
That has been my point all along in SDN... I studied with my friend--an AA whose primary language is English and I am an ESL and I think I got a better grasp of the PS/BS sections than him... and he got 7/11/8 and I got 9/6/9... He got multiple iis and a couple of acceptances and I am sitting here restudying for that stuff because of VR... I am not too sure he will do better than me because of his high VR score if we both were given the chance , then again I don't know. I am sure adcoms put emphasis on that section (VR) for a reason.

In before some med student who got a 13 on VR comes and comments on this, but you will rock in med school if you got a 11-12+ on the BS whether you got a 5 on VR or a 15 on VR.

VR is for your ability to comprehend new material quickly and make sense/reason of it. However, it is kind of flawed because when you have hours to study in medical school and only minutes to read the passage on the MCAT exam, the outlook doesn't really hold. If you put your mind to it and actually manage your time in school, VR or not, you should be fine.

If ANYTHING, I would feel VR would have more purpose if it had the same types of questions etc., but the material was actually themed for medically related readings and articles instead of Saudi Arabian government or Greek theology.

Reactions: 2 users
In before some med student who got a 13 on VR comes and comments on this, but you will rock in med school if you got a 11-12+ on the BS whether you got a 5 on VR or a 15 on VR.

VR is for your ability to comprehend new material quickly and make sense/reason of it. However, it is kind of flawed because when you have hours to study in medical school and only minutes to read the passage on the MCAT exam, the outlook doesn't really hold. If you put your mind to it and actually manage your time in school, VR or not, you should be fine.

If ANYTHING, I would feel VR would have more purpose if it had the same types of questions etc., but the material was actually themed for medically related readings and articles instead of Saudi Arabian government or Greek theology.
So you think someone who got 10BS/7VR has the chance to do better in med school than someone who got 8BS/11VR...

Last edited:
So you think someone who got 10BS/7VR has the chance to do better in med school than some who got 8BS/11VR...

Absolutely, the bs section requires much critical thinking and processing information too. I think the best predictor is the bs section.

So you think someone who got 10BS/7VR has the chance to do better in med school than someone who got 8BS/11VR...

Hard to say. An 8 in BS isn't terrible compared to a 10 in BS, but I would think a 12 in BS vs a 7 in BS absolutely.

I always felt verbal reasoning (as a native English speaking and non "hard" science major person) was the easiest of the mcat sections. Huh.

I always felt verbal reasoning (as a native English speaking and non "hard" science major person) was the easiest of the mcat sections. Huh.

As a sith lord and non "light side" user of the force, I always felt Kenobi was a Jedi tool. Come at me, bro.

I have a cousin who got a 20 on the mcat in podiatry school. Granted, she said the board were extremely difficult, but she got through them and is practicing now.

Just my anecdote for the day.