Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Guy-Dude

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Louisiana boy here. Just got first MCAT results back, and it's a 511! Would normally be happier, but I have a 3.3 GPA from my undergrad and have to decide quickly if I should cancel the second MCAT I had as backup. I have a bachelor's in chemistry, bachelor's in biology, and I recently finished a Master's in health sciences with a 3.84 GPA there. Should I retake? I honestly did not study very hard for first one and feel like I could improve it, as I have been studying religiously for this one.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you didn't study at all for the first one and still banged out a 511, I would NOT retake the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
There were a couple of the Kaplan books I didn't even pop open. Two things I REALLY studied were organic and psych/soc. Psych/soc was still my poorest section (127, 73rd percentile) and there were a solid 5 strictly organic chem-based questions on the whole exam (was mad haha). I've always been a strong standardized test taker, so maybe that was just sheer ability that got me the 511? I'm so on the fence, it's unreal

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, everyone. Louisiana boy here. Just got first MCAT results back, and it's a 511! Would normally be happier, but I have a 3.3 GPA from my undergrad and have to decide quickly if I should cancel the second MCAT I had as backup. I have a bachelor's in chemistry, bachelor's in biology, and I recently finished a Master's in health sciences with a 3.84 GPA there. Should I retake? I honestly did not study very hard for first one and feel like I could improve it, as I have been studying religiously for this one.
Do NOT retake!

If you can honestly commit to studying harder this time, I don’t see why you shouldn’t retake...your score is at a place where adding a few points would significantly increase your percentile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk