Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jermes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took DAT today. I totally messed up RC, and got 16. (The practice score range was 18-21. I'm not really sure what happened..)
The other sections and the overall scores are okay, but should I still retake the DAT?
It seems to be said that RC is the most important section, but I wonder if it will still be difficult to get in if I apply broadly.
Any advice would be appreciated:)

Date of submission: Late June
Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.6
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.75
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 22 TS: 22 Bio:23 GC:19 OC:22 RC:16 QR:30 PAT:30
State of Residence: GA

Undergrad Attended: Georgia Tech
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Minority? Yes- Asian, English second language
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes, been working as an engineer 5+ years

Shadowing Experience: 300+ Hours
Volunteering Experience: 100 Hours
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: Sport club, (and some engineering club, not sure if it helpful)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's lists, Mensa
LOR type and strength: 2 Science professors and 2 Dentists

dat.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I just took DAT today. I totally messed up RC, and got 16. (The practice score range was 18-21. I'm not really sure what happened..)
The other sections and the overall scores are okay, but should I still retake the DAT?
It seems to be said that RC is the most important section, but I wonder if it will still be difficult to get in if I apply broadly.
Any advice would be appreciated:)

Date of submission: Late June
Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.6
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.75
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 22 TS: 22 Bio:23 GC:19 OC:22 RC:16 QR:30 PAT:30
State of Residence: GA

Undergrad Attended: Georgia Tech
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Minority? Yes- Asian, English second language
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes, been working as an engineer 5+ years

Shadowing Experience: 300+ Hours
Volunteering Experience: 100 Hours
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: Sport club, (and some engineering club, not sure if it helpful)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's lists, Mensa
LOR type and strength: 2 Science professors and 2 Dentists

View attachment 356348
Congratulations on the scores with the exception of reading. A lot of schools are forgiving if English is a second language. If you have certain schools in mind I always recommend contacting them directly with your stats. I have seen many students get in with a 16 reading score through the years, a lot depends on where you apply.

Wishing you the best...
Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Reactions: 1 users
Shoutout to my fellow yellow jackets!
You have not included a school list, but I'd assume you would apply to DCG since it's the only IS school. DCG requires TOEFL test scores if English is your second language. You can also call the admission office to get it waived through a short meeting (strongly recommended since TOEFL is pretty pricy). DCG's DAT cutoff is 16 on each section, so I guess a 16 in RC shouldn't automatically disqualify you. You can always double-check with them through a consultation (or a meeting to get your TOEFL waived at the same time).
The 30s in PAT and QR are so impressive (also makes much sense since you're a ME major lol)!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless there is a strict cut-off, if your application demonstrates a strong match to a school's mission, or if the school has had a track record of taking engineers, you have a really good shot at a few schools. The clarity of your English communication needs to be solid enough to communicate with various patients and other preceptors. Look at some schools that have independent tracks for internationally trained dentists; you shouldn't have to apply through an IDP but the fact there will be other "immigrants" training with you may help assure you that your language skills can be tolerated as long as it is not endangering patients.

Reactions: 1 user