Should I send an additional update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiteralLungs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently sent an update to many of my schools correcting an hour error on my primary AMCAS application. I also informed some of the schools about my new clinical job (for the schools where I did not already mention this in my secondary).

I recently had a manuscript published. Would it be okay to send another update now to schools about this publication even though it's only been a few weeks since my last update?

I have received one interview invite, a hold, and multiple rejections. Silence from about 25 schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A pub is worth an update .

Thanks @Goro. I have one additional question for you for something I'm considering including in this update. In my previous update I sent, I told them that I started a new clinical job. One piece of feedback I got from a school that rejected me already was that my clinical hours were slightly on the low end. I've been involved in this clinical job since September and now have over 250 hours logged. Do you think it would be helpful to list these hours? I'm wondering if it would matter since I already told them I began the position in the previous letter.

I figure it wouldn't be enough to stand on it's own, but I might as well include it since I'm sending something for the publication anyway.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @Goro. I have one additional question for you for something I'm considering including in this update. In my previous update I sent, I told them that I started a new clinical job. One piece of feedback I got from a school that rejected me already was that my clinical hours were slightly on the low end. I've been involved in this clinical job since September and now have over 250 hours logged. Do you think it would be helpful to list these hours? I'm wondering if it would matter since I already told them I began the position in the previous letter.

I figure it wouldn't be enough to stand on it's own, but I might as well include it since I'm sending something for the publication anyway.
That's also worth telling them. Most people report only starting a job and that has little to no impact.

That's also worth telling them. Most people report only starting a job and that has little to no impact.
Alright thanks. I was worried it might come across as highlighting a weakness in my app

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro
I have an additional question. I was about to send this update (with recent 1st author publication and information about my continued clinical job and number of hours in this job) (this is my second update).
I just received word from a lab I worked in that they would be finally submitting a manuscript for a project from years ago at the end of this week.

If this additional publication is accepted in the coming weeks, should I send yet another update? This would be a 3rd update within the span of 2 months or so. I wonder if schools would see this as annoying spam. This would be my 3rd publication. And I'm expecting at least 1 or 2 more publications by spring or early summer.

@Goro
I have an additional question. I was about to send this update (with recent 1st author publication and information about my continued clinical job and number of hours in this job) (this is my second update).
I just received word from a lab I worked in that they would be finally submitting a manuscript for a project from years ago at the end of this week.

If this additional publication is accepted in the coming weeks, should I send yet another update? This would be a 3rd update within the span of 2 months or so. I wonder if schools would see this as annoying spam. This would be my 3rd publication. And I'm expecting at least 1 or 2 more publications by spring or early summer.
Wait until May/June for the second update.

The Admissions Dean isn't going to run out of his/her office screaming to the admin "We have to accept this kid!!!! Two publications!!! TWO!!!!"