Should I settle for MS in pharmaceutical sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasoolraja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I aspire to do the pharm D program in 2013 or 2014. But recently one of my friends told me to consider the MS program in pharmaceutical sciences instead of the pharm D. He said the job opportunities are excellent. What is your opinion about the MS program?
I am in my mid 30's and I want a career change. I am very passionate about a career in pharmacy. However, there is no point in pursuing an MS program in pharmaceutical sciences if job opportunities are very limited. Meanwhile I job shadowed a pharmacist in an independent drug store and I feel highly inspired to do the pharm D program. What worries me is the duration of the pharm D program including the time for pre requisites. It will take me roughly 7 to 8 years to become a pharmacist. By that time I will be over 40 years old :(. I now have a family with one kid. Do you think pharmD is achievable and is it wise considering my age? or should I just settle for MS?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd look into nursing programs. There are a lot of 1-yr accelerated RN programs for people that already have a degree. IMO, nursing has more flexibility than any other health profession. Just my 0.02 :thumbup:

I don't even know what an MS in Pharm. Sci would do specifically... and I'm not entirely sure that whatever someone with that could do couldn't ALSO be done by a Pharm.D.

Maybe you could ask your friend what specific industry opportunities would be available since s/he is an expert...?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even know what an MS in Pharm. Sci would do specifically... and I'm not entirely sure that whatever someone with that could do couldn't ALSO be done by a Pharm.D.

Maybe you could ask your friend what specific industry opportunities would be available since s/he is an expert...?

I totally agree. My husband has a PharmD and works as a preceptor for a few of the state colleges, one of them since they aren't currently paying the hospital sites, offered to pay for his first and last class for his M.S. in Pharmceutical Sciences, (with my husband paying for the seven other classes). He said he didn't know what the advantage of getting that was. He doesn't even know anyone that has one to ask.

I am 99% sure you can't work in pharmacy (retail or hospital) as a pharmacist with the M.S.... if someone knows different please correct me!

Probably pharmaceutical/biotech companies on the basic science side or sales. MS would be better suited for that kind of work than PharmD, but then PhDs dominate that area.

I totally agree. My husband has a PharmD and works as a preceptor for a few of the state colleges, one of them since they aren't currently paying the hospital sites, offered to pay for his first and last class for his M.S. in Pharmceutical Sciences, (with my husband paying for the seven other classes). He said he didn't know what the advantage of getting that was. He doesn't even know anyone that has one to ask.

I am 99% sure you can't work in pharmacy (retail or hospital) as a pharmacist with the M.S.... if someone knows different please correct me!

No you can't get licensed with that degree and every job I've ever seen has always said, "B.Pharm or Pharm.D only"

Depending on where you live, a Masters degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences can provide you with many job opportunities. Given the Pharmaceutical Sciences nature of the degree, you would be more apt to working for a pharmaceutical company such as GSK, Pfizer, or many of the others. Some hot spots include RTP in North Carolina, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Cleveland OH, and even SoCal. There are a few others- check out http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.or...articles/1999_01_08/noDOI.9323650598756458251. These regions are mostly saturated with opportunities. I am most familiar with the Research Triangle Park area.

A MSPS degree can be focused in different areas depending on your school and which program you enter into: concentrations in pharmacology, biotechnology, pharmaceutical analysis (analytical chem), or industrial pharmacy are tracks that are offered at Campbell University..
http://campbellpharmacy.net/academics/msps/application.html

Hope this helps, that's about all I know about it. I was accepted into the MSPS-pharmacology track prior to being accepted into pharmacy school. This doesn't quite solve your time issue since you would still have 6 years of school, but if you're healthy I don't see anything wrong with beginning a new career in your late 30's or early 40's.

Good luck!

I still don't see what you could do with that Master's degree that you could not do with a Pharm.D also. A Ph.D, maybe, because that says "Hey look, I completed and defended a dissertation with novel research" and has a certain academic pedigree associated with it...

I still don't see what you could do with that Master's degree that you could not do with a Pharm.D also. A Ph.D, maybe, because that says "Hey look, I completed and defended a dissertation with novel research" and has a certain academic pedigree associated with it...

The MS degree makes you well rounded depending what scope of the industry you are looking to get into. In my MS program there were several tracks including but not limited too: pharmacoeconomics, pharmacy regulation,regulatory affairs.

Many of the careers you can do with a PharmD or PhD alone but having the MS is a nice complement and also shows dedication to that particular path. Most of my classmates were pharmacists, some lawyers, and couple already worked for the FDA.

The MS degree makes you well rounded depending what scope of the industry you are looking to get into. In my MS program there were several tracks including but not limited too: pharmacoeconomics, pharmacy regulation,regulatory affairs.

Many of the careers you can do with a PharmD or PhD alone but having the MS is a nice complement and also shows dedication to that particular path. Most of my classmates were pharmacists, some lawyers, and couple already worked for the FDA.

I understand that the MS degree would be worthwhile if taken along with the PharmD degree. What if one gets just a MS in pharmaceutical sciences without a pharm D degree? What would be the opportunities and job prospects?

I understand that the MS degree would be worthwhile if taken along with the PharmD degree. What if one gets just a MS in pharmaceutical sciences without a pharm D degree? What would be the opportunities and job prospects?

There are still opportunities out there without having a PharmD. For example most of the RA positions dont require a PharmD but in order to be a director or VP you have to be one of the "D's" (JD, PharmD,MD, PhD). My advice to you is figure out what exactly it is you want to do before you invest time and money in another degree.

There are still opportunities out there without having a PharmD. For example most of the RA positions dont require a PharmD but in order to be a director or VP you have to be one of the "D's" (JD, PharmD,MD, PhD). My advice to you is figure out what exactly it is you want to do before you invest time and money in another degree.

EXACTLY!

If you're not sure about getting a PharmD, you should spend some real time thinking about what you want to do versus pursuing one option and questioning other options at the same time.

I have a MS in Chemistry, so it's not QUITE a MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences. However, I have a coworker who received her MSPS from Campbell and we have the same job title, work duties, etc. Presumably, you would work in pharmaceutical research, although it's a completely different field than working as a pharmacist. I'm choosing to leave research and development because I miss working with patients (people in general); However, I have coworkers who genuinely enjoy the field and couldn't imagine doing anything else. *shrug*

Members don't see this ad :)
EXACTLY!

If you're not sure about getting a PharmD, you should spend some real time thinking about what you want to do versus pursuing one option and questioning other options at the same time.

I have a MS in Chemistry, so it's not QUITE a MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences. However, I have a coworker who received her MSPS from Campbell and we have the same job title, work duties, etc. Presumably, you would work in pharmaceutical research, although it's a completely different field than working as a pharmacist. I'm choosing to leave research and development because I miss working with patients (people in general); However, I have coworkers who genuinely enjoy the field and couldn't imagine doing anything else. *shrug*

What I understand is the following:
Pros of MS pharmaceutical sciences
1. takes only 2 years to complete the program
2. Can work as a researcher or research associate after graduating
3. Easier to get admission compared to PharmD
Cons:
1. There will be people with PhDs competing for the same job positions

Unknowns:
1. salary?
2. 100% job security?

Pros of Pharm D program
1. Can get license to practice
2. Flexibility of working in a hospital, or retail. Possibility of owning a pharmacy; can also pursue research and teaching; can work in FDA, EPA, etc.
3. Status in society
4. Handsome salary
5. Helping patients

Cons:
1. takes 6-8 years to complete including pre requisites (I would be over 40 when I complete the program)

Well in that sense, the MS is essentially like a residency or fellowship for specialization. So yes, a PharmD could do it too but would perhaps require more training of some sort.

i'm just starting a pharm d program with a kid and a family, and i would not settle for something that is not what i wanted to do. stick it out and do what you desire because you will be miserable if you don't

i'm just starting a pharm d program with a kid and a family, and i would not settle for something that is not what i wanted to do. stick it out and do what you desire because you will be miserable if you don't

Thank you friend for your note. I feel inspired!!!

Hi i got an admission in LIU for Ms in Industrial Pharmaceutics. Can i still get into research and development cos i love R&D.

I aspire to do the pharm D program in 2013 or 2014. But recently one of my friends told me to consider the MS program in pharmaceutical sciences instead of the pharm D. He said the job opportunities are excellent. What is your opinion about the MS program?
I am in my mid 30's and I want a career change. I am very passionate about a career in pharmacy. However, there is no point in pursuing an MS program in pharmaceutical sciences if job opportunities are very limited. Meanwhile I job shadowed a pharmacist in an independent drug store and I feel highly inspired to do the pharm D program. What worries me is the duration of the pharm D program including the time for pre requisites. It will take me roughly 7 to 8 years to become a pharmacist. By that time I will be over 40 years old :(. I now have a family with one kid. Do you think pharmD is achievable and is it wise considering my age? or should I just settle for MS?

Do what you want to do not what other people tell you!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks friends for your support! After 4 long years of hard work, I managed to get in to the Pharm.D program. I am not settling for the MS program!

I know this thread is pretty old, but the answer to this question is pretty obvious. It's actually as obvious as the difference between pharmacology and pharmacy. Pharmacy is the clinical practice of managing and dispensing drugs. Pharmacology is about systems studies and the future potential usage of chemical candidates in the treatment of conditions. In a more condensed way: pharmacists give out pills; pharmacologists design those pills.

So the question then becomes, do you want to hand the pills out, or do you want to make the drugs? That's a preference plain and simple. However, there's essentially equal job security in both endeavors, with salaries being comparable. The median income for an M.S. in Pharmacology is essentially the same as an M.S. in chemistry, and is roughly $100,000.00 per annum. For a pharmacist (an individual that holds a PharmD), median income is roughly $120,000.oo per anum. Employment opportunities are abound for both; PharmD holders can work in hospitals, pharmacies, etc. Generally, PharmD holders don't exactly engage in research. M.S. degree holders can work at a multitude of places ranging from the pharmaceutical giants like Merck, to biotechnology companies such as Bio-Rad. They also have the added benefit of being able to work at essentially any academic research institution.