Should I shadow or get clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellyk12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option this summer to shadow different doctors in different specialties, but I also have the option to do medical assistant work unpaid and get clinical experience. If I can only do one which would be better for my application (im applying next summer). I don't have any shadowing hours unfortunately, but I have about 40 hours volunteering in a physical therapy department if that counts as clinical. What should I give priority to this summer?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical experience is harder to come by and is more needed than shadowing. Go for the MA work.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the option this summer to shadow different doctors in different specialties, but I also have the option to do medical assistant work unpaid and get clinical experience. If I can only do one which would be better for my application (im applying next summer). I don't have any shadowing hours unfortunately, but I have about 40 hours volunteering in a physical therapy department if that counts as clinical. What should I give priority to this summer?

Thanks!
Clinical experience is expected to be gained as a longitudinal experience. Shadowing can be acquired at the last minute in large clumps of time, and can be limited to a single primary care physician, if no subspecialty opportunities come your way. You'll have time over future school breaks to shadow before you apply next summer. You'll probably acquire contacts with the clinical volunteer work this summer whom you can hit on for shadowing opportunities at some future time.

Take the offer of a volunteer medical assistant position.

Reactions: 1 user