Should I show my face at the medical school..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younggunner94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working at a university as a research associate during my gap year. I applied at this school, even though it heavily favors IS applicants. I did write about my research and moving to the area in my supplemental application, because I moved across the country for the unique research opportunity. Should I show my face at the school? If so, who should I try to talk to? Most likely the people at the face of the med school will be receptionists who won't matter as far as my application goes, right? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

@younggunner94 Make sure you inform the receptionists of the little impact they have on your application before you ask them for advice on who you should talk to for admissions questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Have a chat with the Admissions dean.

I am currently working at a university as a research associate during my gap year. I applied at this school, even though it heavily favors IS applicants. I did write about my research and moving to the area in my supplemental application, because I moved across the country for the unique research opportunity. Should I show my face at the school? If so, who should I try to talk to? Most likely the people at the face of the med school will be receptionists who won't matter as far as my application goes, right? Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@younggunner94 Make sure you inform the receptionists of the little impact they have on your application before you ask them for advice on who you should talk to for admissions questions.

Why are people on SDN so salty lately? When did this turn into reddit?

Is it really that offensive to say that a receptionist has little influence on deciding who attends their medical school..?

Reactions: 1 users
Why are people on SDN so salty lately? When did this turn into reddit? Is it really that offensive to say that a receptionist has little influence on deciding who attends their medical school..?
It's not offensive, but it's incredibly ironic that you query a broader feedback audience in the same paragraph where you mention in passing a highly specific career that exists in order to tackle these questions for you. While you only see that reactant A leads to product C, you have completely bypassed the fact that the receptionist B is an enzyme to lead you to the product that much faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
on many occasions I have been told by admissions staff that impolite and unprofessional behavior to the admistrative staff results in, at the least, in a negative note on your file

Never have I mentioned being unprofessional or disrespectful towards anyone.

Thank you @Goro

Just to warn you, having this perception of medical school admissions is both ill-informed and harmful to your chances. This is why people are getting on your case.

Most likely the people at the face of the med school will be receptionists who won't matter as far as my application goes, right?

Never have I mentioned being unprofessional or disrespectful towards anyone.

Thank you @Goro

I may have had a predisposition towards the OP statement on receptionists because I got one of my initial jobs thanks to them! If you go through my post history you will see that I passed on a suggestion that if people are applying for clinical positions in a hospital that they should consider getting BLS/CPR certification because on many online apps this is the equivalent of a RED FLAG towards auto-denying an applicat regardless of how promising they could be for a hospital. I know this because I showed up in the hospital and queried the receptionist to see if I could schedule an appointment with Human Resources to see if there was anything I could due to improve my application after being told I lacked sufficient qualifications. They kindly forwarded me to the unit secretary of the hospital floor I wanted to work on and informed me that I just needed CPR certification. Then they worked with HR to get me through the door.

I can't guarantee that showing up will always be effective. However, if you go in with a firm goal in mind with a plan set out and are prepared to get nothing out of it, then the only thing you can gain from the experience is at worst neutral and at best positive. I'd like to think that getting any exposure is positive exposure if you go in with the right attitude.

Reactions: 1 user