Should I spend time preparing this summer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erambo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting into the PA program in August and wondered if I should brush up this summer on any academics? I've been out of school since 98 and have been working as a ER tech for the past 2 yrs. Feeling a little nervous since it has been a while since I cracked the academic books...hoping it will come back to me. If indeed it is lost...gee I hope not. Any advice to get a head start would be helpful. All of my friends tell me to just kick back and take it easy this summer since I'll be burning the midnight oil for quite a while...I just don't know...Yikes

Members don't see this ad.

From what I hear, you should just enjoy your summer. And as always, start reading, it helps with the concentration thing. (It doesn't have to be anything science related also :)

erambo:
I'll be starting in September and I was giving this a bunch of thought and eventually got in contact with 4 or 5 students in 1st year at the school I'm going to. 100% said - relax, enjoy your family and the summer. The school will teach you what they want you to know in the way they want you to know it. At rapid speed even
:D That said, it sure isn't going to hurt you if you study A&P or what ever else, or work extra hours to build up the cash reserve, or any other activity. However, I'm just spending the summer lavishing as much love on my wife as I think I'll be ignoring her for hours on end this coming year. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I too am feeling I'd better spend as much time with my husband as I can this summer. Just hope he dosen't get too spoiled and used to be pampered...then blam...we become two ships passing in the night. At least he has a job that keeps him very busy and one he loves :) I have a feeling for the next 2 1/2 years I won't have alot of free time. However I do think I'll take you're advice and read over some A&P. I'm already burning through plenty of novels and have been since graduation...not quite the same as a text unfortunately. :p
Well..off to go enjoy this beautiful day here in paradise...catch ya'll later...

Beth

OH MY GOD!! Read NOTHING medically related. Have fun. Enjoy. It will soon come to a SCREEEAAACHING halt!!

Thanks for that note to relax Bradley...however I just received my orientation manual and we have to read a 500+ page textbook on Medical Terminology by Willis in its entirety and we have a two hour exam on the 2nd day of orientation....whoa There goes all my fun downtime. Oh well...they want us to be able to read 50 pgs per night and understand everything we read without having to stop and look up terminology, etc. Guess it'll be worthwhile :eek: Hope your summer is going to be a little more relaxing than mine is turning out to be...I still plan to travel a bit and read for fun as well :)
Beth