Should I start considering alternatives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icecoldstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my app relatively early ~mid aug to all the schools. Got bottom wait listed at my only interview and haven't heard anything else except 2 pre-interview rejections. FL resident here with average stats, checked boxed the required clinical and volunteer ECs and have excellent research experience with 2 publications (middle author ofc). Applied only to FL schools and like ~3 OOS mid to lower tiers. Since its getting pretty late in the cycle, should I start sending letters of interests to schools that I haven't heard back from and worst case, start thinking about alternatives as backup plan? I've been really panicking since I found out I was wait listed at bottom of the list this monday. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my app relatively early ~mid aug to all the schools. Got bottom wait listed at my only interview and haven't heard anything else except 2 pre-interview rejections. FL resident here with average stats, checked boxed the required clinical and volunteer ECs and have excellent research experience with 2 publications (middle author ofc). Applied only to FL schools and like ~3 OOS mid to lower tiers. Since its getting pretty late in the cycle, should I start sending letters of interests to schools that I haven't heard back from and worst case, start thinking about alternatives as backup plan? I've been really panicking since I found out I was wait listed at bottom of the list this monday. Any advice?

It's not too late this cycle to apply to more schools, since your AMCAS is already verified. Why not apply to more OOS private schools? How many schools in total did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose hope yet. I also applied mostly to FL schools and have yet to hear from a few. The cycle seems to be moving slow for everyone..

If I were you, I would add a few more OOS schools, just in case.

It's possible that you could still be invited to interview in December and even through February.. remember that we are only halfway through the cycle!

One should ALWAYS have a backup plan in case of failure in any endeavor.

There is still time, though the rule of thumb I have always head is that after Thanksgiving your chances start dropping quickly (though I did receive one interview in december and and was eventually accepted at that school).

That being said you should start developing a back-up plan. Contact schools you were rejected from and ask if there was anything specific that you need to work on. Line up something to do full time, either work or volunteering, that will keep you busy and help reapply.

No reason to have a plan B because it distracts from plan A!! Not exactly but you still have 5 months of the application cycle to consider. I know you say not high stats but what do you have? Might give us a better representation of what your "alternative" may be.

Yeah...mid-August is not "relatively early.l :confused:

Reactions: 1 user