• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.


About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2011
7,246
3,664
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
1 DO II (which I was rejected to)
3.6 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA for MD, 3.27 sGPA for DO
128/125/129/127 MCAT (509)

I am debating between re-taking the MCAT or doing a DIY post-bac.

I'm leaning towards the post-bac because I think my MCAT is good for DO's. With the post-bac, I am thinking of taking 3-4 classes for the Winter and Spring quarters through an extension program at my alma mater. My questions are these:

Can I take the classes online? None will be prereqs. The commute to the school is horrible and I'd prefer to avoid it.
Are two quarters enough if I take sufficient credits?
Should I take lower-division courses as well, or strictly upper?

Also, should I just wait it out for DO's before taking the classes or is it better to start and drop if needed?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
What major are you pursuing now, and what upper level biomedical science courses do you need to take? What were your grades in your science classes?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
 
Oct 14, 2011
7,246
3,664
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
I’ve already graduated with Biopsychology. I completed courses in neuroscience, cell biology, biomedical science research, things like that. I started to do well in those towards my senior year but my lower division sciences from my community college were mainly B’s.

If you focus solely on DO's for your reapp next year, retaking the MCAT probably would have more impact but that's probably not the issue. I think the sGPA is too low for MD depending on where you applied. That said, I always ask which schools you networked with before you began the application process because then you'd get better insight from students there, alumni, and admissions staff.

Unless you have a compelling reason to take online classes, I would avoid it. Ideally I would first check with the schools on the top of your priority list to see if they have had any students in your situation and whether there is a history of accepting students who did. That said, I would still continue to take classes even through the application period that you have already started. If you reapply, those good grades will count towards your next application.

Your responses from applications does seem very pessimistic considering the number of schools you applied to. You should ask your evaluators about their impressions and advice.

CORRECTION EDIT: MCAT for DAT comment
 
Jun 11, 2010
66,258
102,084
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I can't recommend a postbac at this time. IF you're still shut out by Mar/Apr, think about an SMP. IF you do not have a DO LOR or shadowing, get those in.

Work on interview skills. A post-II rejection at this point is uncommon.

How many schools did you apply to? If a small number, it's time to increase the pool.

EDIT: Your MCAT is fine for many MD and all DO
 
Jun 11, 2010
66,258
102,084
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I have a DO LOR and significant shadowing, but the DO is a specialist (not primary). Also, I originally had about 40 MD and 10 DO. I have added a few DO schools since.

Is there any reason against a postbac?
Postbac is fine if money is an issue. SMP has higher risk, but higher reward, especially with a linked program in amed school.
 
About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.