Should I stay home or seek prestige?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to be accepted by both institutions.

I'm from NYC and really hope to stay here for personal and family reasons. NYU is therefore an obvious choice.

However, I was really impressed by Pitt on interview day. They have great facilities and seemed to place more emphasis on students. They are also higher ranked.

To put it simply, should I sacrifice a bit of happiness in order to leave NYC and go to Pitt? Would Pitt's higher ranking help me match into a more competitive residency?

Lastly, I'm also awaiting news in March from some non-rolling schools where I interviewed. What if I got into Harvard or Penn? Should prestige/ranking be enough to get me to leave home? In case you are wondering, I also applied to Columbia and Cornell but no news from the former and a rejection from the latter so I don't think these will be options.

Members don't see this ad.

only you can decide this for yourself. it's much more helpful to discuss this with close friends or family. they're the people you might be leaving and you'll need all the support you can get. what we think doesn't matter.

only you can decide this for yourself. it's much more helpful to discuss this with close friends or family. they're the people you might be leaving and you'll need all the support you can get. what we think doesn't matter.

But shouldn't I turn to an anonymous internet forum to make all major life decisions? :)

In all seriousness, I know I have to make this decision myself but I would greatly appreciate any insights.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not the answer you were looking for, but you are the only person that can answer this. Some questions to consider, though:

How much does prestige matter to you?
Which school did you like most? Did you have one of those "this is where I'm meant to be" moments?
Would you be devastated by being separated from your family?
Can your family come visit you sometimes (at schools other than NYU)?

Personally, I would go to the more prestigious school especially considering that the schools you are looking at aren't that far from NYC.

I've been fortunate enough to be accepted by both institutions.

I'm from NYC and really hope to stay here for personal and family reasons. NYU is therefore an obvious choice.

However, I was really impressed by Pitt on interview day. They have great facilities and seemed to place more emphasis on students. They are also higher ranked.

To put it simply, should I sacrifice a bit of happiness in order to leave NYC and go to Pitt? Would Pitt's higher ranking help me match into a more competitive residency?

Lastly, I'm also awaiting news in March from some non-rolling schools where I interviewed. What if I got into Harvard or Penn? Should prestige/ranking be enough to get me to leave home? In case you are wondering, I also applied to Columbia and Cornell but no news from the former and a rejection from the latter so I don't think these will be options.

I would stay. NYU is an awesome school and you should match fine considering good grades/scores/etc. The NYU name is pretty prestigious in its own right.

How much does prestige matter to you?
Which school did you like most? Did you have one of those "this is where I'm meant to be" moments?
Would you be devastated by being separated from your family?
Can your family come visit you sometimes (at schools other than NYU)?

1. Prestige matters to me a lot. Maybe it shouldn't and I have to get over it, but it does.
2. I liked Pitt more as a school. I was more impressed by my interviewers, the students, the facilities, and the curriculum. Aside from location, it would be an easy choice.
3. Yes, I would be devastated. I went to a very prestigious undergrad away from home and was not very happy for 4 years.
4. My fiance might have to relocate if I chose Pitt. I am also caring for a sick parent who I can't imagine leaving.

1. Prestige matters to me a lot. Maybe it shouldn't and I have to get over it, but it does.
2. I liked Pitt more as a school. I was more impressed by my interviewers, the students, the facilities, and the curriculum. Aside from location, it would be an easy choice.
3. Yes, I would be devastated. I went to a very prestigious undergrad away from home and was not very happy for 4 years.
4. My fiance might have to relocate if I chose Pitt. I am also caring for a sick parent who I can't imagine leaving.

Sounds to me like you should stay in New York. Unless the thought of going to NYU makes you equally miserable (it doesn't sound like it does, though...from what you wrote, it just sounds like you like certain things at Pitt better)

Sounds to me like you should stay in New York. Unless the thought of going to NYU makes you equally miserable (it doesn't sound like it does, though...from what you wrote, it just sounds like you like certain things at Pitt better)

I see why it's such a tough decision. Given what you said, I think you would be better off at NYU. I don't think it would be beneficial to sacrifice happiness (and consequently performance) for the sake of prestige. Plus, NYU is a darn good school.

Best of luck to you in your decision and your med education.

if prestige is the main thing keeping you from choosing NYU, I'd say your concerns are probably unfounded. NYU has a strong reputation both in the medical community and in the public. I don't think the NYU name would hold you back from whatever residency you are trying to match into, but that's just speculation based on what I have read from more experienced members here on SDN.

if prestige is the main thing keeping you from choosing NYU, I'd say your concerns are probably unfounded. NYU has a strong reputation both in the medical community and in the public. I don't think the NYU name would hold you back from whatever residency you are trying to match into, but that's just speculation based on what I have read from more experienced members here on SDN.

You're definitively right about public perception: no one outside of medicine I knew was terribly excited about Pitt ("They have a medical school?"), but everyone in NYC knows NYU. I hope to practice here.

I suppose my main concern is about residency matching. I would want to match into one of the academic Manhattan hospitals (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, or Mt. Sinai). My understanding is that I'd be at an advantage to match into NYU coming from NYU. But how about Columbia or Cornell? How would my chances look from NYU compared with Pitt or say Harvard or Penn?

Last edited:
I would say NYU. NYC is awesome, and if you're happy there, why change it?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're definitively right about public perception: no one outside of medicine I knew was terribly excited about Pitt ("They have a medical school?"), but everyone in NYC knows NYU. I hope to practice here.

I suppose my main concern is about residency matching. I would want to match into one of the academic Manhattan hospitals (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, or Mt. Sinai). My understanding is that I'd be at an advantage to match into NYU coming from NYU. But how about Columbia or Cornell? How would my chances look from NYU compared with Pitt or say Harvard or Penn?

If you get into Harvard or Penn, then I'd say that's an incredible opportunity and you need to take it. It's hard to turn down schools in the top 5 under any circumstances. I'd say as far as reputation goes, neither Pitt nor NYU would be a limiting factor for matching into the programs you mentioned. It's obviously possible that you run into residency directors with their own biases, but from what we know about residency selection, both schools should afford you similar opportunities. In fact, if your goal is to stay in NYC, it might be better to go to NYU for the purpose of making contacts and networking with doctors who might have ties to Cornell or Columbia.

Go big or go home.

that phrase works in so many facets of life. it's truly amazing.

and i dont think Pitt is big enough considering your reasons, so go home. but Penn/Harvard would be just cause of the opportunities.

Last edited:
If you get into Harvard or Penn, then I'd say that's an incredible opportunity and you need to take it. It's hard to turn down schools in the top 5 under any circumstances. I'd say as far as reputation goes, neither Pitt nor NYU would be a limiting factor for matching into the programs you mentioned. It's obviously possible that you run into residency directors with their own biases, but from what we know about residency selection, both schools should afford you similar opportunities. In fact, if your goal is to stay in NYC, it might be better to go to NYU for the purpose of making contacts and networking with doctors who might have ties to Cornell or Columbia.
Pretty much what I was going to say. The difference between the prestige of NYU and Pitt is negligible. Pitt is a fantastic school (I was accepted there but went elsewhere), but it isn't a Harvard, Penn, Stanford, UCSF.

It really is a non-factor.

Exactly what I would have said

Exactly what I would have said

Me, too.

I would add that you should factor in travel time to your sick parent. Philly and Boston are do-able in one day, in a pinch, whereas that trip east/west across Pennsylvania seems to take forever.

Prestige is a funny thing. For average New Yorkers, NYU is more prestigious than Pitt, a school they're unfamiliar with. I would think it likely that you would find an "old boy" network of NYU trained physicians all over the tri-state area but far fewer Pitt grads. That, too, counts for something if you want to match & eventually practice in NY.

Me, too.

I would add that you should factor in travel time to your sick parent. Philly and Boston are do-able in one day, in a pinch, whereas that trip east/west across Pennsylvania seems to take forever.

Prestige is a funny thing. For average New Yorkers, NYU is more prestigious than Pitt, a school they're unfamiliar with. I would think it likely that you would find an "old boy" network of NYU trained physicians all over the tri-state area but far fewer Pitt grads. That, too, counts for something if you want to match & eventually practice in NY.

exactly what i was going to say. if you ultimately want to end up in new york, go to NYU.

honestly, prestige matters a lot to me too, so this is something i've been thinking about lately. and something i've noticed-- mt. sinai is ranked higher than NYU in usnwr, but no one freaking knows about it! even doctors who live out of the tri-state area are like "oh, i had no idea sinai had its own medical school." but everyone knows NYU (possibly due to the fact that it's a degree-granting real estate corporation :p). so... what i'm trying to say is that rankings aren't everything; prestige comes in lots of forms.

now i shall prepare to get flamed. because we all know people who think about anything other than cost of attendance are so dumb they shouldn't be allowed to use computers, much less post on SDN. :lame:

exactly what i was going to say. if you ultimately want to end up in new york, go to NYU.

honestly, prestige matters a lot to me too, so this is something i've been thinking about lately. and something i've noticed-- mt. sinai is ranked higher than NYU in usnwr, but no one freaking knows about it! even doctors who live out of the tri-state area are like "oh, i had no idea sinai had its own medical school." but everyone knows NYU (possibly due to the fact that it's a degree-granting real estate corporation :p). so... what i'm trying to say is that rankings aren't everything; prestige comes in lots of forms.

now i shall prepare to get flamed. because we all know people who think about anything other than cost of attendance are so dumb they shouldn't be allowed to use computers, much less post on SDN. :lame:

you mean the lay person doesn't know about mt. sinai? i'm certain that health care professionals recognize mt. sinai as a premiere institution; if you are choosing your med school based on what a stranger thinks when they ask you what school you're going to, you perhaps should reassess your methodology of institution selection.
furthermore, health care professionals will by and large not care where you did your 4 years of med school, but rather where you did your residency. mt. sinai is an exceptional school that will not inhibit your chances at placing in a great residency, which is what prestige is predicated upon amongst health care professionals.

No, not one iota. The only way Pitt should theoretically win this decision is if they offer you a full ride. Aside from that, there is no way you will ever, ever, ever regret attending NYU.

I'm not aware of the OOS cost for Penn, but if NYU is considerably cheaper if you're instate compared to Penn's OOS tuition, I would say stay home. Now I'm only a pre-med, but I have to assume that where you went to med school is just like undergrad, once you're working, nobody gives a ****. If that holds true here, then is going possibly 100k more indebt worth the school name on your diploma? Also, it's not like NYU is some no name school that nobody outside of your city knows about. It's NYU, EVERYBODY knows NYU, nationally(outside of academia), probably more than Penn.

In the end though, after everybody's jabber jawing, only you can weigh both schools and make the decision. What me and the next guy would do should not effect you in the slightest.

Agreed, I think NYU wins for 2 reasons
1. Parents
2. Sig Other.

Plus NYU is a great school!

Me, too.

OP, that drive is brutal! My grandmother used to live out by Pitt...worst drive of my life. Like, it hurts! Pick NYU!

If no one cared where you went to school, physicians wouldn't make a point of hanging their diplomas on the wall. With the internet, lay people looking for a doctor can easily see where you went to school and it may make a difference to them in deciding to consult you.

Honestly, I would go to NYU. You deep down inside seem to like it more and you have way to me personal reasons to not go there.

Additionally, the prestige should only be a factor if the difference between the schools are big. NYU and Pitt are both VERY prestigious. You can get into any residency from both of them. If the decision was between NYMC or something and Pitt, then I could understand your dilemma. However, the tiny difference between Pitt and NYU is not enough for you to go to Pitt.

On a side note, NYC is sounds so much more fun than Pitt....

EDIT: Also, from personal experience, lay people tend to associate "good medical schools" with good undergrads. Pitts undergrad is actually not that great and so that explains the whole "o really, Pitt?" versus the "wow" you get from NYU.

Newsweek rankings do NOT equal general perception of prestige to regular people. I'm from Cali, and NYU is considered >>>> Pitt

I love the drive to Pitt. People underestimate pitt's skyline at night. Even though I was raised in NY and Philly, I think Pitt's skyline view is prettier.

The drive there isn't bad either. If you enjoy driving its actually pretty fun. I can make the drive from pitt to philly in 5 hours. depending on the time NYC to Philly is like an hour and a half.

i liked Pitt, and I went to NYU for undergrad and I would rather go to Pitt for med school, but there's no real difference in the cost of living because of subsidized dorming (assuming you dont care about the quality of). i would just want to get out of the area but thats really rare for a New Yorker to say

bellevue and the nyu hospitals are pretty cool though

Nah I'm with you. People on SDN seem to be very self conscious about their choice and where they attend school so prestige is always a blacklisted topic and only dumb people think about it. I think it realistically matters to a lot of people. Personally, I'm all about the money. I'm going to the place that offers me the most money :thumbup:

If no one cared where you went to school, physicians wouldn't make a point of hanging their diplomas on the wall. With the internet, lay people looking for a doctor can easily see where you went to school and it may make a difference to them in deciding to consult you.

I did wonder if other people did this besides my mom (looking doctors up on the internet before visiting them). I think some people may underestimate the general public and what a little name recognition will do for you.

Edit: Oh, and OP, I'd go with NYU in your situation. The school that you go to won't matter as much down the line but things involving parents and SO often become sources of regret down the line because these people aren't around forever and you never know what's going to happen. Plus, NYU is a great school and well respected in NY so I think you'd still get your prestige.

not gonna lie, i pay attention to that too... and i don't really consider myself a lay person anymore :p

i agree with some of what other people have posted...

personally i think overall the reputation for pitt vs. NYU is negligible...i would choose NYU over pitt but just because I'd prefer NYC over pittsburgh

but for the average person in the US, the prestige for NYU >>> pitt

and people ALL over the world have heard of NYU (the institution as a whole) but I can guarantee you they have not heard of pitt (i did not even realize pitt was that highly ranked until last year)

pitt might have a higher US News ranking but the NYU brand is much more well-known and the NYU name will go further especially in the eyes of your patients, who will be your average citizen

but the medical field clearly views pitt and mt. sinai as extremely prestigious medical schools but they just dont have the overall branding that NYU does

and come on now, NYU is a very prestigious school too..its hospital was just ranked top-20 overall in US News and they're doing A LOT of construction even during the recession..they just recently received a huge donation to build a new medical center in manhattan..google it

lol but yeah getting into columbia will solve everything...

Last edited:

sure, it matters to a degree, but if you are a specialist, chances are you are getting referrals from other physicians. if you work for a hospital, it matters even less. in the grand scheme of things it probably won't matter very much where you went to school. then again, what do i know?

sure, it matters to a degree, but if you are a specialist, chances are you are getting referrals from other physicians. if you work for a hospital, it matters even less. in the grand scheme of things it probably won't matter very much where you went to school. then again, what do i know?

Even if you get a referral, you are likely to be given 2 or 3 names. Some people will want the doctor who looks like them (just to bring in U.R.M. as a tangent :hijacked: ), some will be concerned with medical school and years from graduation (not wanting someone too old, too young, etc), and some will ask their cousin Sally if she's ever heard of any of these doctors.

But if we apply the common New Yorker standard, then NYU has a significantly better reputation than Penn. "University of Pennsylvania" will not earn much more respect than Penn State. But of course the resources at Penn are amazing (opportunity to get MBA at Wharton, world class global health program, near top in NIH funded research, HUP, CHOP, etc.). So what to do if I get into Penn?

The only way Pitt should theoretically win this decision is if they offer you a full ride.

I'm not aware of the OOS cost for Penn, but if NYU is considerably cheaper if you're instate compared to Penn's OOS tuition, I would say stay home.

I am also caring for a sick parent who I can't imagine leaving.

Additionally, the prestige should only be a factor if the difference between the schools are big. NYU and Pitt are both VERY prestigious.
I'd have said pick the one with the best financial package, since in my part of the country, neither school's name has any particular significance. But sick parent trumps cost or personal preference.

Go wherever you will be happy. Both schools are prestigious enough that if you work hard enough, you can match any residency you want from either school. And you can't place a price on 4 years of your life; if the difference in happiness would be trivial, then by all means let fin aid figure into things, but if it's going to be a huge difference I personally just don't think it's worth it.

But if we apply the common New Yorker standard, then NYU has a significantly better reputation than Penn. "University of Pennsylvania" will not earn much more respect than Penn State. But of course the resources at Penn are amazing (opportunity to get MBA at Wharton, world class global health program, near top in NIH funded research, HUP, CHOP, etc.). So what to do if I get into Penn?

As a West Coast guy, the general perception of prestige for all the aforementioned schools is as follows: UPenn>NYU>UPitt>Penn State.

No one would view UPenn as equivalent to Penn State. One's an Ivy league, the other was voted 2009's biggest party school in America. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. But Penn State is just not the same thing as "Penn". But then again, I'm not from the East Coast, so I have no idea how New Yorkers view that school.

I think staying with your family is important (especially if a family member is sick). Happiness is important and NYU will provide you with many opportunities as well. Just go with your gut feeling, so you have no regrets :) Good luck!

I don't know why this is even a question. Go to NYU. To the average person in America, what do you thing has a higher recognition: NYU or Pitt? NYU for sure. If you get into Harvard worry about prestige vs home but while Pitt might have a higher ranked medical school it really dosn't matter for what you want it for because no one is going to know that.

Even if you get a referral, you are likely to be given 2 or 3 names. Some people will want the doctor who looks like them (just to bring in U.R.M. as a tangent :hijacked: ), some will be concerned with medical school and years from graduation (not wanting someone too old, too young, etc), and some will ask their cousin Sally if she's ever heard of any of these doctors.

fair enough, I can't argue that it matters none, but I can argue that I have seen physicians graduating from the carribbean having more successful practices than those graduating form prestigious medical schools. i would personally go where I would be most happy. if prestige will make you a happy med student, go to the prestigious school. the rest is up to you as an individual.

As a West Coast guy, the general perception of prestige for all the aforementioned schools is as follows: UPenn>NYU>UPitt>Penn State.

No one would view UPenn as equivalent to Penn State. One's an Ivy league, the other was voted 2009's biggest party school in America. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. But Penn State is just not the same thing as "Penn". But then again, I'm not from the East Coast, so I have no idea how New Yorkers view that school.

I think staying with your family is important (especially if a family member is sick). Happiness is important and NYU will provide you with many opportunities as well. Just go with your gut feeling, so you have no regrets :) Good luck!

Nah, Bearie was right. Being from the area (i.e. Jersey) and having completed my post-bacc at UPenn, it is evident that the average Joe does not know the difference between UPenn and Penn State. In academia it's a different story. But to the average person on the street they are either two PA state schools or two names for the same school. Trust. Shoot, I didn't even know UPenn was an ivy until after I matriculated at my undergrad. Despite being right here (geographically), it's really not that well-known as compared to most of the other ivies (great school, just lacks name recognition for most people). Your ranking is right, just for well-educated people...not for the layman.

edit: of course, this doesn't apply for the average person living in the greater Philadelphia area.

We can argue about prestige and residency lists until the cows come home, but you need real information and personally formed opinions. In that regards, go to the second looks for both schools. Being from Pitt, and having had to decide Pitt vs. New York myself, I can tell you the Second Look really helped me make my decision both in terms of the school and intangibles (city, classmates, life in general, etc.). Your personal reasons for/against won't change (although hopefully your parent feels better- best wishes!), but this is the path of least regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.