Minnesota v. WashU (should I stay or should I go?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beekachu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there is another thread where someone is choosing between the same schools, but the majority of it was off-topic discussion and I could use some direct input on my thoughts at this point. So I made my own thread.

General details:
-- Minnesotan born and raised, and regardless of which medical school I attend, I intend to train and practice in Minnesota after school. Its long been a dream to work at Mayo
-- I am fairly undecided on speacialty (A physician once had me convinced on Radiology, I had considered high-risk OB, or oncology, but I could see myself as a family doc. Basically all over the place)
-- I have quite a bit of basic science research experience for an undergrad (I think..), but I don't necessarily see myself doing it in my career. Would like to do some clinical research during medical school though.
-- And I am super close with my family (Think Marshall Erickson from How I Met Your Mother and family dinners every Sunday).
-- Also getting married in ~a year, so it would be a convenience thing not having to plan a wedding long-distance :p

I know that there is some difference in "rankings" between the two schools, but I'm trying not to be swayed by prestige. I am a firm believer that if I am going to work my butt off, the school I'm at isn't going to make or break me..

Finally, due to scholarships, both schools will cost the same.

I think I am leaning toward Minnesota because it's a good school and also I'm worried that if I move away and find myself unhappy and uncomfortable, I won't be able to do my best. It's hard to picture myself happy in St. Louis, far from home. But am I just picking the easy decision to avoid stretching myself?

Has anyone made a similar decision? Regrets? Would you consider turning down WashU a mistake? If the ultimate goal is to become a good physician, does it matter?

Thanks in the advance for your thoughts. If nothing else, it was good to be honest and write it all out. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it certainly sounds like you'd be more comfortable/happy going to Minnesota. What I think it comes down to is whether or not you think the "what if's" of not attending Wash U are going to haunt you for years to come. You will, undoubtedly, get a great medical education at either school.

Also, congrats on getting into several amazing schools!

Congrats Beekachu!! If you're getting married in a year and both schools are relatively good fits, then wouldn't you want to choose to be closer to your partner ?

There's little more important than staying with the people one cares about imo. You'll be equally as good as a doctor AND be able to enjoy a great family life as well. take it as a true blessing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like prestige is not part of your life goals, as you express no desire to leave your home state, you would consider family practice, you're not interested in continuing laboratory science, and you want just to become a "good physician."

Someone like you would be with more like-minded people (similar but not exactly the same as 'fit') at Minnesota than WashU. Granted WashU is also a midwest-heavy state relative to other schools of its reputation caliber, Minnesota is way more regional.

At Minnesota, ~50% match into a residency in the state. Historically 7-17% match to Mayo. At WashU this year, 42% of matches were in the midwest. One went to Mayo.

Then consider that Minnesota matches 15-19% of its graduates to family medicine. This year, WashU matched 3 students (2.5%) into family medicine. Minnesota matches 45-50% into primary care (including internal medicine, family medicine, pediatrics, and med/peds), while WashU this year sent 31% (and my guess is a higher portion of the IM matches will subspecialize).

Now, these figures indicate what kinds of students go to these schools (i.e. different preferences), but it doesn't necessarily mean that your chances of doing what you want to do (i.e. match into Mayo for instance) are different if you're set on it (i.e. different abilities/opportunities).

You'll just feel more comfortable. Stretching yourself is overrated. You're getting married! That sounds like you're at the stage of life where you want to be settling down and having a normal life.

I don't think you'll regret turning down WashU.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies and encouragement :). Its nice to hear that the decision makes sense to other people knowledgable of the med/ pre-med world.

Congrats Beekachu!! If you're getting married in a year and both schools are relatively good fits, then wouldn't you want to choose to be closer to your partner ?

There's little more important than staying with the people one cares about imo. You'll be equally as good as a doctor AND be able to enjoy a great family life as well. take it as a true blessing.

I definitely agree. My SO is fairly mobile in terms of his job just FYI, I wouldn't do the newlywed thing long distance

sounds like minnesota is where you want to go. prestige is nice but quality of life is more important

WashU is a great school, very friendly students-I really enjoyed my interview day. But it seems like you'll be really happy in MN. Once you get to medical school, you won't regret your choice either way, but if you KNOW you'll be happy at one school I'd choose it :). Especially if you have a SO that is staying in MN!! Make a mental commitment to study hard and you can go to a WashU-y place for residency! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.