Current Stanford students: What time do you get home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coquito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in the East Bay and will be living here during medical school. If I choose Stanford, I will probably be taking that free bus from the East Bay Fremont/Union City area so I can avoid bridge tolls, parking hassles, and lost study time. But it looks like the last bus leaves around 8 p.m. So...

How often do you find yourself at school past 8 p.m.?
And, if you are there past 8, would you be able to plan ahead (ex. I could plan to drive certain days) or is your finish-up time unpredictable?

Need help with these questions in order to make some important decisions.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a current student, but I currently live in palo alto and work in Hayward. Just wanted to add that the commute is killer especially with rush hour traffic...even just sitting there it might wear you down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. I'm also from union city/Fremont and that commute is always miserable. The Dumbarton bridge gets really really bad during rush hour at night. I've also been considering what that commute might be like and I just can't even see it being worth it.

But to each his own!

I've done the commute for a few years from Hayward, and I would say it really hasn't been that bad for me. I've had the luxury of not having to commute during peak hours, which really makes a difference. Hopefully a current student will chime in soon so you can get a better idea of how the schedule will impact your transportation options. Stanford is an incredible school and well worth a little extra transit time IMO. Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in the East Bay and will be living here during medical school. If I choose Stanford, I will probably be taking that free bus from the East Bay Fremont/Union City area so I can avoid bridge tolls, parking hassles, and lost study time. But it looks like the last bus leaves around 8 p.m. So...

How often do you find yourself at school past 8 p.m.?
And, if you are there past 8, would you be able to plan ahead (ex. I could plan to drive certain days) or is your finish-up time unpredictable?

Need help with these questions in order to make some important decisions.
Thanks!!

Hey you (again)!

My family lives in Union City/Fremont area and I took the bus several times from Stanford during hs because I used to date someone there. If you're leaving on a bus, past 8 PM - you will be absolutely fine. Alternatively, there is a bus that goes from the bart station to Stanford and you will really only need a bike to make that work. That will give you a lot more schedule flexibility. :)

Hey you (again)!

My family lives in Union City/Fremont area and I took the bus several times from Stanford during hs because I used to date someone there. If you're leaving on a bus, past 8 PM - you will be absolutely fine. Alternatively, there is a bus that goes from the bart station to Stanford and you will really only need a bike to make that work. That will give you a lot more schedule flexibility. :)

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but thats a cal train station (which on the west side of the bay) not a bart station (which runs on the east side of the bay). I don't think theres any transfers or connection between the two.

You're right -- there's no BART station anywhere near Stanford. The closest would be Union City (or Fremont). I'm not aware that there's a bus that goes from one of those stations to Palo Alto, so I would bet that bus she was talking about was from CalTrain, which doesn't run along the East Bay.

I'm talking about this:

http://dumbartonexpress.com/

It runs from the bart station to Stanford/Palo Alto. :)

Thanks for the responses so far! I know about the East Bay-Stanford commute since I used to do it (from North Oakland!) every day, going over the Dumbarton bridge. I also have gone to Atherton from the East Bay a lot during rush hour.

I was specifically interested in this option, however:

http://transportation.stanford.edu/pdf/EastBay-Stanford_transit_guide.pdf

...which would allow me to live in Newark/Union City/Fremont (I've lived and commuted here for years, and I've got reasons - SO, finances, pets, outside jobs - for not being able to live in Palo Alto or Mountain View.)

The bus looks like it's supposed to take 30-35 min (from the Ardenwood Park & Ride) and drops you off in front of the hospital/med school. But it stops running at 8 p.m.

I know that's a bit of a commute, but it can't be as bad as dealing with Stanford parking. I used to look for a spot for 10 min and walk to class for 25 min and all that after driving up to an hour in rush hour from Oakland. So, relatively, this bus option doesn't sound horrible to me.

Hey you (again)!

Oh, hi, speakwhales! Do you come here often? ;)

Thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.