Should I stay in my current position since I might get a 1st-author abstract?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixRising77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the title above. I'm a scribe and one of the doctors I scribe for has been giving me side projects. I've worked on a couple of things since September, but the doctor's been telling me that she feels bad that I'm not getting a pub/presentation out of my work. So, just this past week, she told me that she figured out how I could extend the project and get an abstract/presentation out of it. I tried applying to Americorps locally but everything is too far away and public transportation is awful where I live. So instead, I've been applying to research jobs since I might be able to afford a car then. But should I pass up this opportunity? I would have to stay at the scribing job so I can access the EMR.

Members don't see this ad.

both opportunities sound good, I think you need to decide which you would enjoy more and which would help you grow the most as an applicant. My thought is also that most research positions would also want you to publish. Also make sure to talk with your boss about the certainty of getting the abstract and what the expectations for that are.

Reactions: 1 user
both opportunities sound good, I think you need to decide which you would enjoy more and which would help you grow the most as an applicant. My thought is also that most research positions would also want you to publish. Also make sure to talk with your boss about the certainty of getting the abstract and what the expectations for that are.
Thank you. I will be talking to my supervisor today. This is my last gap year (I'm applying this cycle) so I would have a research job for only a year and from my interviews it seems unlikely they will publish me. Additionally, I haven't been able to tell anyone in my interviews I'm premed/applying to med school since I've had interviews with this research institution in the past, and they're not willing to hire a premed especially for CRC positions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would consider sticking with the scribe position as long as you can capitalize on the proposed abstract/presentation opportunity. Jumping ship to the research job might work, if research is a weak point of your application. However, the fact that your prospective research institution doesn't know you're pre-med might be a bit of an issue -- I think you're better off somewhere that supports that fact that you want to go to medical school. You don't want to surprise them at some point next year when you announce you're going to medical school.

Just for context, what's the rest of your application like besides the scribing? It's always hard to make recommendations without knowing the full story.

I would consider sticking with the scribe position as long as you can capitalize on the proposed abstract/presentation opportunity. Jumping ship to the research job might work, if research is a weak point of your application. However, the fact that your prospective research institution doesn't know you're pre-med might be a bit of an issue -- I think you're better off somewhere that supports that fact that you want to go to medical school. You don't want to surprise them at some point next year when you announce you're going to medical school.

Just for context, what's the rest of your application like besides the scribing? It's always hard to make recommendations without knowing the full story.
I'm fine staying in the scribe job and honestly don't think the project will take long. I also spoke with my supervisor, and she just needs to iron out a few details before letting me know how much time the project will take. She just never listed a student in a publication/presentation before, so she needs to figure that out.
I have about ~1500 hours clinical experience (shadowing, scribe job, and volunteering), 1500 hours research (REU + 2.5 years in basic science labs with one national presentation/mid-author in abstract), 250 nonclinical volunteering, and 500 hours teaching assistant/tutoring. Also had normal leadership positions. Mcat 519, GPA 3.97.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, it sounds like your application kicks butt, so I wouldn't sweat the details on this. Keep rolling with the scribe job + research project if it seems better to you than switching to a research position that doesn't welcome pre-meds (that's probably what I would do). Either way though, you should be an excellent position for your apps. Good luck!

Well, it sounds like your application kicks butt, so I wouldn't sweat the details on this. Keep rolling with the scribe job + research project if it seems better to you than switching to a research position that doesn't welcome pre-meds (that's probably what I would do). Either way though, you should be an excellent position for your apps. Good luck!
Thank you! I will be sticking with the scribing for now. I'm looking for parttime/summer Americorrps close to where I live, but I plan on keeping my current job.