Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have been reading these forums for a while now; this is my first post. I wanted your opinions on a dilemma I've been wrestling with. I am now a 4th year medical student applying for a pathology residency. The institution I'm at now is a university-based tertiary-care center. It handles around 15,000 surgical and 16,000 cytology specimens a year. The program here has around 10 residents, who seem pretty happy. I suppose this is a better program than would be found at a community-based hospital, but as far as I know it is not in any way a prestigious place to train. I'm pretty much guaranteed a spot at this institution, and I have very strong family reasons to stay here. So my question is, how much would my training and future competitiveness for fellowships and such be hindered by training at a place that is not a well-known pathology program? I think I would be a competitive candidate for, if not first-tier, at least fairly decent programs (good clinical and pre-clinical grades, USMLE 240s.) However, because of my family situation, I'd really like to stay here for residency. (I'd likely be able to go elsewhere for fellowships.)
I thought I'd just see if anyone had any thoughts on this. I know I'm being vague, which might make offering advice harder. I'm certainly willing to read a lot and study hard, but I'm worried that I might not see the variety of things one might elsewhere. How much of residency is learning from a text versus from experience with cases? Anyway, any input anyone has would be appreciated.
Thanks
I thought I'd just see if anyone had any thoughts on this. I know I'm being vague, which might make offering advice harder. I'm certainly willing to read a lot and study hard, but I'm worried that I might not see the variety of things one might elsewhere. How much of residency is learning from a text versus from experience with cases? Anyway, any input anyone has would be appreciated.
Thanks
So, location is a consideration when deciding on programs. It's early to make hard and fast decisions... would still apply to other programs, just to see what's out there. Get other opinions. Then, make the hard decisions for the match list.