Should I stop using uworld cars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lull

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
posted here because r/mcat keeps flagging this question lol..

I just started the CARS Qbank1 after using uworld CARS for some time, and I have to say, the styles are entirely different. I don't know if it is just the first couple questions, but AAMC forces you think much more intuitively than uworld. I feel like with uworld, there's usually some direct quote that justifies one answer, but with AAMC there's so many interwoven, contradicting ideas that the quotes cannot just be assumed point-blank. I have been narrowing my choices down to two answers and naturally choose the wrong answers. Should I stop using uworld cars?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely prioritize AAMC CARS. I struggled with UWorld and NS CARS passages but never scored below 130 on AAMC CARS. It's just different.

UWorld is great for other section of the test, particularly when doing timed 59 question sections.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For CARS I was thinking of doing Khan Academy and the AAMC QBanks. Is that enough?

Should be fine. I used Jack Westin passages just to get used to the variety of topics you will encounter. I did 1-2 passages per day to practice strategies till I found what worked for me, then switched to AAMC.

You can read 3rd party CARS passages to practice your reading comprehension, but skip the questions. Only use AAMC questions.

I've been using it and it seems alright. My CARS score improved in practice from using it. I think there are some differences as the UWORLD passages generally expect more complicated reasoning for answers than the AAMC. CARS is just a joke lol.

Is the AAMC Q bank/FL the same every year? or do they get updated?
FLs are definitely the same -- they just added a new one this year, and the three existing ones are still offered, so they are definitely not rotating tests in and out. Only a retaker who used the Qbanks for both exams would be able to tell you if they change, but I'd bet they don't.

Reactions: 1 user