Should I study before school starts? (serious)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDPM123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my gap year and have recently been accepted into podiatry school. I am already doing volunteering and working part-time but I still have a decent amount of time on my hands. Since I have multiple months before school starts, is it worth studying a little now? If so, what should I study? Cause I know most students learn off powerpoint slides which I don't have access to.

Maybe I should just go over my old MCAT and class notes from relevant subjects such as biochemistry, anatomy, and physiology etc.

Members don't see this ad.

No.

Here's why:

- Classes are too specific with an incomprehensible amount of material to learn by yourself. Even if you were able to get your hands on material, the pace is no where near what you would be doing in school.

- You will retain nothing.

- The material on the MCAT has little or nothing to do with what you will learn. Sure you could re-memorize the Kreb's cycle...but then what? Even if you reviewed all of your Bio I + II in 3 weeks, what would be the point of it? Do you even know what is on your curriculum enough for it to be useful? Do you know out of the 10 chapters of pharmacology what your professor would actually ask on the exam? Do you really have any idea what you should even be studying? No. You don't.

It is nice to feel productive. So keep making money, keep taking trips, keep volunteering. But for the love of God, please do not pre-study for something you truly have no idea about.

It sounds harsh, but if I've pissed you off to defeat you from pre-studying, than I've done my job. You need to relax.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the middle of my gap year and have recently been accepted into podiatry school. I am already doing volunteering and working part-time but I still have a decent amount of time on my hands. Since I have multiple months before school starts, is it worth studying a little now? If so, what should I study? Cause I know most students learn off powerpoint slides which I don't have access to.

Maybe I should just go over my old MCAT and class notes from relevant subjects such as biochemistry, anatomy, and physiology etc.
No. Don't study anything. 0 benefit. Find something else to do.

Save money, travel, read something else for pleasure, get caught up with what you need, visit relatives. Do whatever you want, just dont pre-study.

My best advice is to settle at least 1 month in advance, set up everything where you will live, learn how to use Anki. You won't have much time learning various strategies once school starts. What I would do differently, is learn several strategies, find some useful resources and know how to use them. But don't touch the actual material.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No. Don't study anything. 0 benefit. Find something else to do.

Save money, travel, read something else for pleasure, get caught up with what you need, visit relatives. Do whatever you want, just dont pre-study.

My best advice is to settle at least 1 month in advance, set up everything where you will live, learn how to use Anki. You won't have much time learning different strategies once school starts. What I would do differently, is learn several strategies, find some useful resources and know how to use them. But don't touch the actual material.

Thank you, I appreciate your advice. May I ask what strategies you have found most helpful besides Anki? What I usually do is make a study guide of notes based on the PowerPoint and professor's lecture, then practice it by saying it out loud as if I'm teaching another student the material. It has helped me understand/memorize material very well, I just hope the strategy can work in medical school.

Thank you, I appreciate your advice. May I ask what strategies you have found most helpful besides Anki? What I usually do is make a study guide of notes based on the PowerPoint and professor's lecture, then practice it by saying it out loud as if I'm teaching another student the material. It has helped me understand/memorize material very well, I just hope the strategy can work in medical school.
That's the problem, I didn't. I didn't even learn Anki well enough. I learned about Anki probably 1 month into the first semester. I started using it, but once you are in the fast stream, hard to switch swimming gear or learn how to swim. Gotta get going. I will start doing more Anki for the boards after this semester. I use it slightly, but only basic features and not for all subjects.

That is why I think it is better to settle ahead of time, learn around the town where you will live, just get adjusted and set up your learning space, computer, and whatever resources you need.

First couple of weeks, like most other people I went to lectures, used OneNote to take notes on power point slide and such. I quickly gave it all up. Waste of time. Even students who were religiously going to lectures, gave it up this semester. Taking notes is waste of time, at least in my school.

What worked in undergrad, doesn't work here. Couple differences that I see:

1. In undergrad, you cover about the same amount of material in 1 month or more as we cover it here in 1 week.

2. In undergrad, you almost never knew what will be on the test, unless you got lucky with professor. They could test anything from the book, slides, what they said in lecture, what they never said, what was in other resources provided in class, etc.

3. Here, at least so far, everything comes exactly from Power Points. When I see students take notes or read their notes, I can't understand. Why? Professors read exactly from the slides. Why take notes about notes? All lectures are recorded. If you didn't understand something just listen to it online.

Most of the time they tell you or hint what will be on the test and what will not be on the test.

So, how to study then? You need to have several passes over high yield info. Repetition. Since there is so much information thrown at you (~1000+ slides per week) you need to have it all condensed into high yield package. Imagine, if there are 4 hours of lecture every day, even if you pass thru the same material twice, that is 12 hours per day non-stop (plus other labs, activities, exams and so on). Not going to work.

That's where Anki comes into play. I create my own cards, but often it is so time consuming. There are premade decks which many are using and they are good for USMLE/COMLEX boards, but very low yield for my own exams. I tried them. Waste of time for me. Will probably use them after June.

Some of our classmates never go to lectures and never listen to recorded lectures, they just study from the slides. They say it works for them. Some don't even use school materials for the big classes, they use some other online resources only and say it works for them. Since, majority of information comes from boards prep books anyways, professors tend to ask only those questions that are related to boards. Everything else is just for your own knowledge.

If you can figure that out and know what is high yield and pay more attention to that, you will be ok.

Bottom line, if you have resources that are more condensed and more high yield and if you can put it through constant repetition, this is probably best strategy.

What is also very important is to know how to take med school exams. I was not a good test taker in undergrad. If I didn't know the question, 99% I would get it wrong. Now, if I don't know exact answer, high chance I will guess it right. I learned some tricks through our Student Learning Center. There is so much info that you won't be able to remember and know everything, but if you know how to select the best answer, you will save yourself at least 5-10 questions per test.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Like everyone says the answer is def a big fat NO imo

Personally I just study the power points. Been working so far. Except for anatomy which is obvi more involved. Ultimately I find everyone will try to give you study advice but at the end of the day you're going to have to do trial and error finding out what works for you.

I got accepted in the fall. I have been a bum ever since. So many people would kill to be in our shoes. Be smart. Be a bum :)

Reactions: 4 users
That's the problem, I didn't. I didn't even learn Anki well enough. I learned about Anki probably 1 month into the first semester. I started using it, but once you are in the fast stream, hard to switch swimming gear or learn how to swim. Gotta get going. I will start doing more Anki for the boards after this semester. I use it slightly, but only basic features and not for all subjects.

That is why I think it is better to settle ahead of time, learn around the town where you will live, just get adjusted and set up your learning space, computer, and whatever resources you need.

First couple of weeks, like most other people I went to lectures, used OneNote to take notes on power point slide and such. I quickly gave it all up. Waste of time. Even students who were religiously going to lectures, gave it up this semester. Taking notes is waste of time, at least in my school.

What worked in undergrad, doesn't work here. Couple differences that I see:

1. In undergrad, you cover about the same amount of material in 1 month or more as we cover it here in 1 week.

2. In undergrad, you almost never knew what will be on the test, unless you got lucky with professor. They could test anything from the book, slides, what they said in lecture, what they never said, what was in other resources provided in class, etc.

3. Here, at least so far, everything comes exactly from Power Points. When I see students take notes or read their notes, I can't understand. Why? Professors read exactly from the slides. Why take notes about notes? All lectures are recorded. If you didn't understand something just listen to it online.

Most of the time they tell you or hint what will be on the test and what will not be on the test.

So, how to study then? You need to have several passes over high yield info. Repetition. Since there is so much information thrown at you (~1000+ slides per week) you need to have it all condensed into high yield package. Imagine, if there are 4 hours of lecture every day, even if you pass thru the same material twice, that is 12 hours per day non-stop (plus other labs, activities, exams and so on). Not going to work.

That's where Anki comes into play. I create my own cards, but often it is so time consuming. There are premade decks which many are using and they are good for USMLE/COMLEX boards, but very low yield for my own exams. I tried them. Waste of time for me. Will probably use them after June.

Some of our classmates never go to lectures and never listen to recorded lectures, they just study from the slides. They say it works for them. Some don't even use school materials for the big classes, they use some other online resources only and say it works for them. Since, majority of information comes from boards prep books anyways, professors tend to ask only those questions that are related to boards. Everything else is just for your own knowledge.

If you can figure that out and know what is high yield and pay more attention to that, you will be ok.

Bottom line, if you have resources that are more condensed and more high yield and if you can put it through constant repetition, this is probably best strategy.

What is also very important is to know how to take med school exams. I was not a good test taker in undergrad. If I didn't know the question, 99% I would get it wrong. Now, if I don't know exact answer, high chance I will guess it right. I learned some tricks through our Student Learning Center. There is so much info that you won't be able to remember and know everything, but if you know how to select the best answer, you will save yourself at least 5-10 questions per test.
What school do you attend? Thank you for the great information :)

I'll be attending podiatry school from Fall 2019. I'm working full time for the first time!! Planning to travel soon and make my mind fresh before school starts. There's gonna be many more years to study ahead. So enjoy the freedom while it lasts!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone really studies different and I feel like no matter how much you try to learn different study methods that work a month before school, you won’t TRULY know until you start the course. And for different courses you may change it up.
For me personally, I cannot remember things by just studying off PowerPoints. It would save me time but my brain needs it organized in a certain way. I like to have notes on paper, for anatomy I drew everything out, etc. don’t be scared to do something different that seems to work for you! Enjoy your time and you’ll be motivated for school when it starts :)

I remember that awkward gap time. The only thing I did that could be related to "studying" is I ordered one of those detailed human anatomy coloring books. If you like that kind of thing, it was kinda relaxing coloring with colored pencils and superficially learning all the bones/muscles/etc. I actually do think it helped some in gross anatomy class--on some level I was already kinda familiar with a lot of the structures...

Reactions: 3 users
Wouldn’t it be a good idea to study, not for material sake, but to get back into the groove of studying? I know when I go prolong periods of time with out a study habit it takes a longer time for me to get back into the groove. That’s just me though.

Wouldn’t it be a good idea to study, not for material sake, but to get back into the groove of studying? I know when I go prolong periods of time with out a study habit it takes a longer time for me to get back into the groove. That’s just me though.
How long are we talking about?

If you have taken a break..watched everything Netflix/Hulu/etc has to offer and working on that beach body and still got free time..I suggest reading some anatomy. Nothing crazy, just the first chapter of Moore (clinically oriented anatomy); goes over the systems, and anatomical terms...can help..esp if you're taking anatomy the first term. Can also get some anatomy coloring books!

Otherwise, it's a big :nono: :sendoff:

Reactions: 1 user

Doesn't matter.

You can read anatomy or good books about clinical experiences, stories from doctors to keep your mind busy.

But the pace you study and "Getting into the groove of things" will not happen until you have pressure from exams to perform.

It is like getting hit over the head before your brain kicks into high gear and you consciously make an effort to retain material.
This gets easier 2nd year when the things you learn can be applied clinically and for boards instead of random ****.

1st year is a big memorization game. Even if you are trying to get into the flow of studying, it will not happen until after your first 2 weeks of school when you are already 3 lectures behind with exams coming up in every class.

I am not trying to disparage you, I am just getting you to understand that it is different in medical school (yes, this is a medical school curriculum).

You should not be camped out at a library for 7 hours studying for something you have no clue about just to get back in the groove.

I wouldn't. Enjoy the time you have now because you won't have that kind of time once you start.