Should I summer courses and push back my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch2Much28

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on sending in my applications before the end of June. I'm signed up for the DAT on July 15th after my original test date was canceled in April. I'm debating whether I should take anatomy and physics II this summer. The only downside to taking both those classes is that I'd want to push back my DAT a week or two just to have a little extra breathing room to make sure that I can continue to review for the DAT and excelling in each of those classes. I know that schools don't look at your application until you submit your DAT, so would it be a bad idea to push it back to the end of July? I'm trying to figure out if getting an A in both of those classes would be worth pushing it back. I am a non-traditional applicant and took my pre-reqs at CC and it would increase my BCP and Science gpa's to a 3.63 and 3.73.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, it depends on your stats. If your practice exams for the DAT are going well and you are considered very competitive based on other things too like volunteering, extracurricular, letter of rec...etc, go ahead and take the exam July 15th bc 3.63 is not too bad of a gpa. Can you take the courses later on? If your only moving it a couple of weeks back, it shouldn't make a big difference since I feel like everyone will be taking the DAT late and applications completed later than normal.

I'm planning on sending in my applications before the end of June. I'm signed up for the DAT on July 15th after my original test date was canceled in April. I'm debating whether I should take anatomy and physics II this summer. The only downside to taking both those classes is that I'd want to push back my DAT a week or two just to have a little extra breathing room to make sure that I can continue to review for the DAT and excelling in each of those classes. I know that schools don't look at your application until you submit your DAT, so would it be a bad idea to push it back to the end of July? I'm trying to figure out if getting an A in both of those classes would be worth pushing it back. I am a non-traditional applicant and took my pre-reqs at CC and it would increase my BCP and Science gpa's to a 3.63 and 3.73.

a lot of centers are fully booked due to people getting their dates cancelled
I would not assume that you can just get a new date right away...