should i switch majors to keep my gpa up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMT

182?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
current stats: 30 mcat, 3.6 cum gpa, 3.8 science/math gpa. texas res.

so im a bio major with roughly 25 hours left until graduation and 3 semesters to do it in. pretty much all the hard classes left.... cell, evo, pchem, cal3. ill take biochem regardless. (ive done all the premed required courses plus immuno, human phys, and genetics)

if i switch to another major, ill have 40 hours to do in 3 semester and it's a BS in Health. meaning it's pretty much smooth sailing from here on out. gpa can only go higher and i dont run the risk of ruining my science/math gpa (BIG reason why i want to change).

problem is.... im the student that took 6 years to graduate. i started off as accounting... switched to bio and now possibly health. im banking on getting into med school if i switch because i cant do much with a health degree.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you see yourself potentially using the bio degree in the future should you not get in, then I'd stick to bio. However, consider taking some of these harder courses pass/fail, ESPECIALLY if you are taking them in the same year that you are applying to med school (since current year courses won't show up on the AMCAS transcript). Cell bio and evolution are not that bad, honestly. Calc 3 and pchem ARE, so these might be good to take pass/fail.

If you see yourself potentially using the bio degree in the future should you not get in, then I'd stick to bio. However, consider taking some of these harder courses pass/fail, ESPECIALLY if you are taking them in the same year that you are applying to med school (since current year courses won't show up on the AMCAS transcript). Cell bio and evolution are not that bad, honestly. Calc 3 and pchem ARE, so these might be good to take pass/fail.

i dont think my school does pass/fail? or at least ive never heard of that option befor accept for a few easy easy math classes.

i dont think ill use my bio degree for anything. i just want to get into med school and after that, i dont think your degree matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are good enough to get in so don't worry about what happens if you don't.

Switch majors for your GPA if you are not emotionally attached to the bio degree.

Yeah, I'd switch. Bio majors have to take third sem calc and pchem? lol

Your stats are good enough to get in so don't worry about what happens if you don't.

Switch majors for your GPA if you are not emotionally attached to the bio degree.

lord_jeebus, if you don't mind disclosing this info, which med school are you attending?

Unless you want to do MD/PhD, go ahead and switch to Health. You will likely get into a Texas public school with those #s. There isn't much difference b/w Biology and Health in terms of future careers unless you would consider getting a PhD in biology. I was a bio major and hated several upper-level bio courses. If they're tough and don't interest you, switch.

well... bs in health is 43 hours.... bs in psych... 28

probably going to psych. :cool:

so everyone is in agreement?

ok. After i go die, would everyone be in agreement that i should switch?

i think the serious answers have come and gone..... the rest of sdn can have at it :laugh:

I'm only a college frosh, but definitely do whatever it takes to keep that GPA up. Your grades are too good to ruin by forcing yourself to take more rigorous classes that aren't necessary. Anyways I'm sure you've worked hard enough to deserve a little break before med school. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
well... bs in health is 43 hours.... bs in psych... 28

probably going to psych. :cool:

so everyone is in agreement?

Psych is a great major too. I finished my major in Psych about a year ago and now am finishing up my major in BIO and minor in Chem. I would say that comparing the two degrees I much prefer my BIO classes, but that is only because I wasn't a huge fan of all the "touchy feely" type classes that were required to complete my Psych degree.

However, if you have a zest for BIO (like me) you can focus a Psych degree to more experimental classes such as behavioral neuroscience, clinical neuropsychology, neuroanatomy, pharmacology, sensation and perception, cognitive psych, and the like. They are definitely more difficult than your run of the mill psych classes, but they are also really interesting and with your Bio you should have a leg up on the classes. Plus, if you decide you would be interested in pursuing neuro after med school you would have a leg up.

So bottom line: Switch if you really don't care what you finish your degree in and if you think you'll be just as happy in Psych. For me I liked them both so much that I decided to get a major in each, but for you I think you should choose based on what you feel like you'll enjoy.

If you think you can do well in the classes you listed for the biology major, keep going. Med schools will appreciate a candidate who has taken tough classes and done well in them. You will look a hell of lot better as an applicant with a 3.7 in hard classes than an applicant with a 3.9 in easy classes.

If you think you can do well in the classes you listed for the biology major, keep going. Med schools will appreciate a candidate who has taken tough classes and done well in them. You will look a hell of lot better as an applicant with a 3.7 in hard classes than an applicant with a 3.9 in easy classes.

after reading on sdn for the longest time.... ive come to two conclusions:

1. majors dont matter
2. only major that gets any sort of leeway is engineering.

wanted to verify this by creating a thread... maybe im wrong but that's what ive gathered... :confused:

engineers don't get leeway, they get it up the ass

well yeah, i thought that was quite obvious. thanks

captainobviouslb4.jpg

might i interest you in some
pic_products.jpg

If you did reasonably well in Calc II, you should have little problem with Calc III.

after reading on sdn for the longest time.... ive come to two conclusions:

1. majors dont matter
2. only major that gets any sort of leeway is engineering.

wanted to verify this by creating a thread... maybe im wrong but that's what ive gathered... :confused:

You have been trusting SDN too long. Call an admissions officer at a school you are interested in and talk to them, they will give you good information. SDN info cannot always be trusted.