Should I withdraw my late application or is it worth keeping despite errors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weissbierMD

Reaction score
Essentially, I’m wondering if errors I made in my application can be so bad that a school will blacklist me or it will significantly hurt my chances if I have to reapply.

I submitted my application in October. Of course this isn’t ideal but I read several success stories and felt I had the grades, scores, and experiences I needed to have a chance at some schools I really like.

Because it was a late decision, I had limited time to get my application together. Here are the errors I made while hurrying to submit my application:
  • The last few words of my PS were cut
  • I didn’t notice until after submitting that I copy and pasted the wrong version of my 1st “meaningful experiences” … it was pretty bad. I’m worried that AdComs will think I’m not serious about their school or that I have poor judgement (there is no excuse, but for the record, it was after the night shift at work and I was on autopilot).
  • I ended up with only 3 recommendation letters since my 4th was unable to submit on time

My secondary is barely going to get processed so I’m trying to decide if I should withdraw now or proceed. I'm inclined to proceed because I feel my application as a whole matches the schools' values, but again, I do not want these errors to leave me with a scarlet letter if I have to apply next cycle. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Depends how obvious it is, but it isn't a death sentence.
2. Your experiences will come in different orders for different schools, so do not worry about it being your first.
3. You can add more letters after submitting and three is enough for some schools. Look at specific schools to see their requirements.

You will not be blacklisted for typos, but they certainly do not help. Many mistakes shows carelessness, but only you know how bad that MME description is and wether the mistakes will overshadow your academic metrics and experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Once submitted, an application cannot be removed. It will not be considered for admission if you do not submit a secondary (or pay a secondary fee). The content will still be accessible.
The content from the primary application will still be accessible but the AdComs won't look at it, correct? In order words, if I withdraw my secondary application now and they haven't already seen it, then it will just be disregarded and not reviewed.

By the way, to what extent, if any, is a re-applicant's previous application taken into consideration when they reapply?

The content from the primary application will still be accessible but the AdComs won't look at it, correct? In order words, if I withdraw my secondary application now and they haven't already seen it, then it will just be disregarded and not reviewed.

By the way, to what extent, if any, is a re-applicant's previous application taken into consideration when they reapply?
Now that most schools have software that permits us to review all submitted data, we will review previous submissions in subsequent applications (even if the application was not completed).

Reactions: 2 users
@LizzyM @Goro @wysdoc

If my application is deemed to be really subpar, are AdComs likely to hold it against me if I have to reapply next cycle? I feel I have a shot in spite of some application errors but I am worried they might think I have poor judgement applying late and then having errors in my application on top of that.

@LizzyM @Goro @wysdoc

If my application is deemed to be really subpar, are AdComs likely to hold it against me if I have to reapply next cycle? I feel I have a shot in spite of some application errors but I am worried they might think I have poor judgement applying late and then having errors in my application on top of that.
I would just leave it as it is and don't draw more attention to it.
Are you going to write your secondary essays and submit?

I would just leave it as it is and don't draw more attention to it.
Are you going to write your secondary essays and submit?
Yup I submitted all my secondaries recently. I'm had thought about withdrawing for one of my top schools though because i figured they might have not seen it yet.

Also, for the TMDSAS, I only applied to 3 schools. I was wondering if that might also be something looks questionable.

You are unlikely to get in since you applied so late, but at this point you may as well see what happens. No advantage to withdrawing

Reactions: 1 user