Should I switch to biochemistry or chemistry?

Started by Snoopy92
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Snoopy92

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Right now I'm a biology major and would like to clarify that I'm not thinking of changing majors to seem "better" to adcoms. I've been really thinking about what I would do if I were not to go into medicine and have been reflecting a lot on the reason why medicine even seems so appealing to me. What I learned is that I really want to do something where I can work with people and health (medicine) but also I really think I would enjoying working at synthesizing different pharmaceuticals or even coming up with new pharmaceuticals. I was talking to a PhD student in the lab I work at and shes told me that I might want to look into something or to talk to someone in chemistry but with my busy schedule lately, I haven't been able to. If I were to switch to biochemistry, I would probably only lose out on two or three classes but if I were to switch to chemistry, I think I would have to start all over. If I stayed in biology, I would probably end up minoring in computer science or trying to learn some Java or C++ on my own time to make my resume more appealing. I hope someone who has graduated with either degree will be able to help me in deciding what would have the greatest chance of helping me pursue a job in possibly biotechnology, pharmaceuticals (not a salesman), or even genetics.
 
I know biochem is fine for the things you listed (biotech, pharmaceuticals, etc.). I'm a biochem major and recently obtained an internship with a biotechnology company, so I'd say it shouldn't hold you back.
 
Another thing that was on my mind about biochemistry is that if I were to major in biochem, I don't think I would minor in CS. I would still try to learn maybe Java or C++ but I don't think there would be enough time to minor in CS. I would probably end up with a chemistry and biology minor and biochemistry major. Those minors probably won't do me very much haha. Would a biology or biochemistry major with research experience be enough to land a job with a company if I don't plan on pursuing higher education? I do plan on pursuing higher education, probably a PhD if not MD, but I'd still like to know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would enjoying working at synthesizing different pharmaceuticals or even coming up with new pharmaceuticals..

I've been told that the med chem job market has been absolutely abysmal for the past 10 years, and remains abysmal, even today.
 
Last edited:
I've been told that the med chem job market has been absolutely abysmal for the past 10 years, and remains abysmal, even today.

I didn't even know what the field that was called so I guess it was good to finally know its called medicinal chemistry. What has caused the job market for medicinal chemistry to become so bad? Would I even be able to open that door to medicinal chemistry if I majored in biology or biochemistry and not chemistry?
 
I didn't even know what the field that was called so I guess it was good to finally know its called medicinal chemistry. What has caused the job market for medicinal chemistry to become so bad? Would I even be able to open that door to medicinal chemistry if I majored in biology or biochemistry and not chemistry?

Outsourcing, I believe.

I'm not really qualified to answer your question because I'm not a medicinal chemist. I want to say biochemistry is a better pathway than biology, but I could be completely wrong.

If you're interested in medicinal chemistry, http://pipeline.corante.com/ is worth reading.
 
Outsourcing, I believe.

I'm not really qualified to answer your question because I'm not a medicinal chemist. I want to say biochemistry is a better pathway than biology, but I could be completely wrong.

If you're interested in medicinal chemistry, http://pipeline.corante.com/ is worth reading.

lololol i just switched into the medicinal chemistry track from biochem a week ago because there's less memorizing to do. i guess i'll need to switch back.
 
I've been told that the med chem job market has been absolutely abysmal for the past 10 years, and remains abysmal, even today.

It's true, unless you get into nuclear chem where you synth radioactive products with short half-lives for contrast agents. Many pharma companies have slowed down on research and basically let post docs start up their own company and buy them out if they ever develop something that goes to stage II trials. By that time the post doc is around 45 or so. Most of that market has been outsourced to China. Everybody I graduated with in the Chem or Biochem dept either is unemployed or works at the grocery store. A few have gone to get thier masters. Too bad too, its a hard degree to get and people that do well in it have so much potential that gets wasted. Sorry to be a downer.

If you pursue MD/PhD you should be able to use your chemistry or biochemistry degree. You can get a PhD in pharmacology the same time you are getting your MD. Check out the MD/PhD forums if you want more info. A Doc by the name of Fencer runs a Q+A over there.

Good Luck
 
OP, I agree with Celerity and a few other posters. I graduated college May 2009 with a B.S. in Chemistry (Biochemistry Emphasis) with a premed and psychology minor. My GPA was 3.46 with 3.5 in major. I had research experience from alma mater and did a REU at Texas A & M Univ. Honestly, I just recently got a job after obtaining a B.S. in Biology (Microbiology Emphasis) and racking up additional references which helped me get an Anatomy Tech position at a med school. My current position only requires a H.S. diploma and it has an excellent salary. I am not using my chemistry/biochemistry degree. It was a lot of work and I could not obtain a research position. It was always my dream to work in my field a few years before pursuing med school. With the economy and job market, it was hopeless to get a job without LOTS of experience. Also, my research experience included bacterial cultures, but a lot of my target jobs (because I was interested in medicine) required tissue culture skills. Also, I stopped focusing on biochemical/biologically jobs and focused on chemical industries (analytical testing or oil companies) with no luck. You need an advance degree to do anything in the sciences these days unless you have an excellent network.

To conclude, biochemistry would be better to get a degree in because biology isn't very useful without connections or an advance degree. Plus, biochemistry gives you the skills and knowledge set to get jobs in the biological and chemical (i.e. pharma) fields. Therefore, if you want a degree that gives you flexibility...do biochem. If you want a degree that only gets you to graduate/professional school...do biology. I think if the market hadn't crapped out, I would have had a better outcome, but even Ph.D. and M.S. candidates are having a hard time. Bachelor degrees are the new H.S. diplomas because everyone is seeking advanced degrees. In my opinion, my resume was very impeccable. I was a very well rounded candidate. That's my 2 cents. Hope this helps!
 
OP, I agree with Celerity and a few other posters. I graduated college May 2009 with a B.S. in Chemistry (Biochemistry Emphasis) with a premed and psychology minor. My GPA was 3.46 with 3.5 in major. I had research experience from alma mater and did a REU at Texas A & M Univ. Honestly, I just recently got a job after obtaining a B.S. in Biology (Microbiology Emphasis) and racking up additional references which helped me get an Anatomy Tech position at a med school. My current position only requires a H.S. diploma and it has an excellent salary. I am not using my chemistry/biochemistry degree. It was a lot of work and I could not obtain a research position. It was always my dream to work in my field a few years before pursuing med school. With the economy and job market, it was hopeless to get a job without LOTS of experience. Also, my research experience included bacterial cultures, but a lot of my target jobs (because I was interested in medicine) required tissue culture skills. Also, I stopped focusing on biochemical/biologically jobs and focused on chemical industries (analytical testing or oil companies) with no luck. You need an advance degree to do anything in the sciences these days unless you have an excellent network.

To conclude, biochemistry would be better to get a degree in because biology isn't very useful without connections or an advance degree. Plus, biochemistry gives you the skills and knowledge set to get jobs in the biological and chemical (i.e. pharma) fields. Therefore, if you want a degree that gives you flexibility...do biochem. If you want a degree that only gets you to graduate/professional school...do biology. I think if the market hadn't crapped out, I would have had a better outcome, but even Ph.D. and M.S. candidates are having a hard time. Bachelor degrees are the new H.S. diplomas because everyone is seeking advanced degrees. In my opinion, my resume was very impeccable. I was a very well rounded candidate. That's my 2 cents. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information. I was wondering from what you posted that wasn't it the biology degree that had gotten you the job as an anatomy tech? So would a biology degree not be worthless? I was also thinking of minoring in CS as I said in my OP but would that just be worthless with a Biology major and I should just switch to biochem and do that alone?
 
Thanks for the information. I was wondering from what you posted that wasn't it the biology degree that had gotten you the job as an anatomy tech? So would a biology degree not be worthless? I was also thinking of minoring in CS as I said in my OP but would that just be worthless with a Biology major and I should just switch to biochem and do that alone?


Honestly, it wasn't the biology degree that helped. It was because I formed excellent relationships with professors when I obtained the biology degree. My advisor was the chair of the department and he and other professors I had classes under knew my work ethic and character. IT'S ALL ABOUT NETWORKING! IT'S NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU KNOW BUT WHO YOU KNOW! I learned this the hard way. Do what you feel comfortable? What is your end goal? Medicine or PhD in some discipline? Either will get you there. Do you prefer straight biology or chemistry and biology? Many people have said that biology is a stepping stone degree not terminal degree. This is true for most bachelor degrees today unless it is nursing or engineering. Keep a decent GPA either way.
 
Honestly, it wasn't the biology degree that helped. It was because I formed excellent relationships with professors when I obtained the biology degree. My advisor was the chair of the department and he and other professors I had classes under knew my work ethic and character. IT'S ALL ABOUT NETWORKING! IT'S NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU KNOW BUT WHO YOU KNOW! I learned this the hard way. Do what you feel comfortable? What is your end goal? Medicine or PhD in some discipline? Either will get you there. Do you prefer straight biology or chemistry and biology? Many people have said that biology is a stepping stone degree not terminal degree. This is true for most bachelor degrees today unless it is nursing or engineering. Keep a decent GPA either way.

As of right now, I really am not sure whether I would like to do medicine, a PhD, or even pharmacy. If I were not to go into either field, I would want to attempt to do something with technology. My college doesn't offer biomedical engineering but I think I would enjoy that. The other fields I were thinking of were maybe genetics, bioinformatics, and like I said before medicinal chemistry but from what everyone has said, I'm not sure I want to go into a dead field.
 
As of right now, I really am not sure whether I would like to do medicine, a PhD, or even pharmacy. If I were not to go into either field, I would want to attempt to do something with technology. My college doesn't offer biomedical engineering but I think I would enjoy that. The other fields I were thinking of were maybe genetics, bioinformatics, and like I said before medicinal chemistry but from what everyone has said, I'm not sure I want to go into a dead field.


Well...the job market started failing maybe late 2007 and we are still trying to recover. Be confident in any and all your choices. It seems as though you will be going for an advance degree anyway, so don't let the current trends deter you. I started in psychology and switched to chemistry because I love math and biological science, so biochemistry was a great fit. If you are thinking about medicinal chemistry and/or pharmacy, then chemistry is the route to go because you will see the skills from the chemical field being used. That's not to say that biology majors don't go into pharmacy. Once you get into a new level/field you will learn from the beginning what it takes to be successful in that field. For example, look at how many liberal arts majors are accepted to medical school and become doctors. This proves that the degree you go into don't matter that much for the end result (especially in the case of professional schools).

You're in biology now, right? Take classes in medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, etc if it is offered and see how you like it as a biology student. EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD IN THEORY. Your education is what you MAKE it. If it turns out you're not interested in that field, then do something else. You go to college to figure out what you are interested in and what you are good at. Don't let anything become a limiting factor in your education (not even to impress adcoms). If I had to repeat my education again, then I would only change the following: 1) go on a scholarship because I had the qualifications (high school counselor failed me in this aspect), 2) maintain a better gpa instead of being nonchalant (more than capable of obtaining 4.0; I limited myself), 3) do more research experiences to empower/equip myself with more than the required minimums for post-bac employment. Neuroscience was another field I had interest in but I didn't do enough research or know that colleges actually have bachelor degrees in this field. I would have definitely went towards that field if given another chance too now that I think about it. Again, keeping with the knowledge I had then, the above 3 things are what I would have changed.

You're welcomed to PM me if you need anymore advice! I try to share what I've learned along the way. Good luck!
 
It's easier to get a high GPA in biology than in chemistry/biochemistry in most cases. If you are worried about job prospects in case you don't get in or change your mind, well, I don't believe a chemistry/biochemistry B.S. would improve your position by much.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well...the job market started failing maybe late 2007 and we are still trying to recover. Be confident in any and all your choices. It seems as though you will be going for an advance degree anyway, so don't let the current trends deter you. I started in psychology and switched to chemistry because I love math and biological science, so biochemistry was a great fit. If you are thinking about medicinal chemistry and/or pharmacy, then chemistry is the route to go because you will see the skills from the chemical field being used. That's not to say that biology majors don't go into pharmacy. Once you get into a new level/field you will learn from the beginning what it takes to be successful in that field. For example, look at how many liberal arts majors are accepted to medical school and become doctors. This proves that the degree you go into don't matter that much for the end result (especially in the case of professional schools).

You're in biology now, right? Take classes in medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, etc if it is offered and see how you like it as a biology student. EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD IN THEORY. Your education is what you MAKE it. If it turns out you're not interested in that field, then do something else. You go to college to figure out what you are interested in and what you are good at. Don't let anything become a limiting factor in your education (not even to impress adcoms). If I had to repeat my education again, then I would only change the following: 1) go on a scholarship because I had the qualifications (high school counselor failed me in this aspect), 2) maintain a better gpa instead of being nonchalant (more than capable of obtaining 4.0; I limited myself), 3) do more research experiences to empower/equip myself with more than the required minimums for post-bac employment. Neuroscience was another field I had interest in but I didn't do enough research or know that colleges actually have bachelor degrees in this field. I would have definitely went towards that field if given another chance too now that I think about it. Again, keeping with the knowledge I had then, the above 3 things are what I would have changed.

You're welcomed to PM me if you need anymore advice! I try to share what I've learned along the way. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll start by trying to talk to some more people in the chemistry field and see what they say. My college doesn't offer either medicinal chemistry or pharmacology so I'm going to have to find something else.