Should I take a class over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BentalScholar

Hey guys,
I

Members don't see this ad.

whenyou report on the aadsaas there is no B+ / B-
So unless you get an A, you will have NOT changed your grade in the eyes of dental schools. If that is your worst grade ever I think you are in pretty good shape.

12YearOldKid said:
whenyou report on the aadsaas there is no B+ / B-
So unless you get an A, you will have NOT changed your grade in the eyes of dental schools. If that is your worst grade ever I think you are in pretty good shape.

I don't know if that is true, one of the schools I spoke with on the phone knew that I got an A- in one of my classes and not an A just from looking at the aadsas report she had. I know because I was telling her that I had retaken O-chem and got an A the second time around and she said, "Don't you mean an A-." and I was like, "Yeah I just meant that I scored in the A range I didn't think you guys cared about the + or -.
Back to the original question. No you shouldn't take the class over again, any B shows that you understood the material well enough, and if you took it over again it would just make you look like a perfectionist freak. Besides anyone can go from a B to an A in a class they've already taken, it really wouldn't show anything about your academic ability.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heavens no, don't retake that. It's not like the first grade gets erased and they only see the latter one. They will see both. Going from a B- to a B+ is not going to help in any way. Every admissions councilor I've talked with has only reccomended retaking D's and F's and if you retake the class they want to see A's. It's your second time through the material and you'd better nail it the second time or it's just going to reinforce the fact that you didn't or can't get it. Plus, it's history.....nuff said.

I've never been a big fan of classes being taught by TAs but I do acknowledge the need for them...lack of professors willing to teach the subject, or just simply low funds on part by the school. I will say that I wouldn't retake the class, alot of us had TAs for English 101 and 102 (I APed out of 101 but had the worst TA for 102) and are in your shoes...ie. got stuck with a grade we felt we didn't deserve. The important thing to do is to move on, and if you are asked about the grade, I wouldn't make a big deal about how you were graded unfairly (trust me I'm sure u were...some TAs really have it in for us). I think that wouldn't look the best to an interviewer, I'd just mention how you were young and still a freshman...that alone should excuse you, if of course you improved later on.

Schools will see the B- on your transcript if they look. The B- is also factored into your overall GPA, of course.

But you'd be wasting time to retake it. At the end of your college career, or at least at the point you are applying to schools, that B- shouldn't affect your GPA that much. That is, raising the grade to an A probably wouldn't even do much for your GPA. Spend your time on something else.

BentalScholar said:
Hey guys,
I took history my first semester and screwed it up with a B-, due to conflicts with the TA. I am planning on taking it over next semester i know i can at least get a B+ this time. Please let me know if it is a good idea. I know it doesnt affect the cum GPA alot but still i think it was unfair. I have never gotten a B- in my life and seeing there agrivates me... :scared:

Retake the course "if and only if"* you can at least get a solid A.
*Discrete Math