Medical Should I take a gap year? If so what should be my move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have only applied to TMDSAS application this cycle, and have received one interview from TCOM. I am waiting for the match on March 5th, but am not sure if I do get in so I need some future plans to think about and would love for some help.

I have 3.88cGPA with 3.79sGPA (according to TMDSAS), for AMCAS is 3.85. My MCAT was 498(08/2018), 502(07/2019) and 507 (08/2019). As seen, I knew my second MCAT score was definitely mistaken so I took it within a month. I know it could have been better but after three times of attempts, I am not sure if I want to retake again. The score breakdown was 128/125/126/128.

I had over 400+ hours in clinics, and I have started to work as a medical assistant.

So right now my concern is, should I think about what I would do if I do not get into TCOM?
If so, should I
1) reapply to out of state school immediately?
2) or take gap year?

If I do take a gap year, Is it better to keep working and gain more clinical hours or attend post-grad? A lot of post-grad programs here have to apply by March 1st, and I do not know the result until March 5th, so I am unsure of what to do. Apply not and cancel if I do get into TCOM?
If I do not attend post-grad, I will probably take more classes in community college and gain 1000+hours as a medical assistant.

I really don't want to take MCAT again, but if I have to it will be an option

Thanks for reading this long post. In short, I want to know what would be the best for me to do- retake MCAT? more experience? post-grad?
Given your three MCAT tries, I'm not sanguine on a TX MD accept. But you're fine for all DO schools outside of the state.

I can't recommend an MCAT retake, as I suspect that you've hit your plateau.

You don't need any GPA repair, and your clinical hours are fine, so if you wish to take a gap year, engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree on the MCAT, I think you've maxed out there. Your GPA is fine.

If you're working now as an MA you're going to keep accruing hours. So I would just reapply and include lower-competitive OOS MD schools and DO schools. It's painful when it's much more expensive than TX schools, but cast a wider net and I think you'll be accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.