Medical Should I take a gap year or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am having a hard time deciding if I should apply this upcoming cycle or take a gap year.....I have heard mixed reviews from advisors and physicians....here is everything I can tell you about my stats so far:

-Junior at an SEC university
-Honors College
-Research Assistant in Social Cognition Lab
-Research in Child Psychopathy
- about 60 hours volunteer at health clinic
- around 40-50 hours shadowing DO
- Psychology major Biology minor
- 3.5 overall gpa, 2.8 science gpa (this is where the sting is lol)
- taking MCAT in April
- strong LOR's
-

I recommend a gap year. You do not have a significant amount of volunteering/mentioned EC's, shadowing is a little on the lower side, your sGPA will not even have your app looked at at most places, and you lack an MCAT which if you dont score well you shouldn't apply and if you do score well it will put a microscope to your sGPA and will cause speculation as to the discrepancy.

Take another year or two to focus on your science, maybe even in a post bacc. This is your foundation, and you're not even on par with other applicants. I'd urge you to also take more time to study for the MCAT with the added time instead of taking it in April. a 2.8 science GPA does not sit well with the idea you will have a successful MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

My next question would be should I apply this cycle and try or not apply at all?
No. Get some service in. Do a SMP and beef up that biomedical science core. Whoever is giving you "mixed reviews" on the optimistic side probably doesn't understand admissions.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.