Should I Take a Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdo1919

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a Texas resident applying both AMCAS and TMDSAS for the 2020-2021 cycle, but I have no clinical experience. Is it still worth applying for the current cycle or should I take a gap year and build hours before applying? I have shadowing hours set up from July(~100 hours) that I can possibly add to my application, would this be enough?

cGPA: 3.93
sGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 510

Research:
Molecular Biology Lab: 200 Hours + 1 abstract publication(not first author)

Employment:
Teaching assistant for various freshman-level science courses: 450 hours

Teaching assistant for Senior Level molecular biology lab course: 60 hours

Served as a science teacher for underprivileged middle school students who were falling behind in academics: 250 Hours

Nonclinical Volunteering:

Officer and volunteer of service organization: 150 hours

On another note, I have 200+ hours of hospital volunteering and shadowing through high school; Is there a way I could apply this to apps?

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply this cycle your shadowing won’t count unless you apply somewhat late in the cycle. I personally would wait because you don’t want to submit with practically no clinical exposure and limited volunteer work. I’d consider racking up your volunteer and shadowing hours because to me, they seem rather weak especially since a lot of people have a significant number of clinical hours due to positions like scribing, clinical research coordinator, etc. Also I just realized, you’ll have have a hard time filling out your 15 activities with what you have now

Take a gap year, no clinical experience will kill you and high school doesnt count

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With no clinical volunteering and shadowing since high school you should take a gap year. Accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing, including primary care. Also 200 hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact.

Reactions: 1 user