Should I take a pass/fail class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kerenza

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school offers a class designed to help prepare students for the MCAT. It is literally an MCAT prep course and you get 3 credit hours for it. However, it is pass/fail. Should I take it? Do ADCOM's look down on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like P/F is only questionable when used for required or otherwise really important classes. You'll be fine. Besides, they'll look down on it more if you don't do well on the MCAT than if you have a 'pass' on your transcript.

I'm jealous. I wish my undergrad had a class like that. I would've taken it in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My school offers a class designed to help prepare students for the MCAT. It is literally an MCAT prep course and you get 3 credit hours for it. However, it is pass/fail. Should I take it? Do ADCOM's look down on this?
Take it. It won't be looked down on anymore than if you prepared through Princeton or Kaplan, which is to say, not at all. Your score is sufficient to demonstrate mystery of the material.

Reactions: 1 user
I just heard since pass/fail cant be factored into your GPA then it would be looked down on. But I will probably take it. Thanks!

I'm taking a Pass/Fail volleyball course..

I don't think it matters unless it's a pre-requisite course.

I just heard since pass/fail cant be factored into your GPA then it would be looked down on. But I will probably take it. Thanks!

Taking your pre-med pre-reqs pass/fail would pose an issue. Taking 1 non-pre-req class pass/fail is entirely a non-issue.

Taking your pre-med pre-reqs pass/fail would pose an issue. Taking 1 non-pre-req class pass/fail is entirely a non-issue.

I pass/failed a history course in which I got an A- in. I'm also taking a P/F volleyball course. Do you think this will be a big detriment to my application?

I initially had a B-, and I did well on my exam, so I didn't realize that my grade shifted to an A-.

I pass/failed a history course in which I got an A- in. I'm also taking a P/F volleyball course. Do you think this will be a big detriment to my application?

I initially had a B-, and I did well on my exam, so I didn't realize that my grade shifted to an A-.

I guess I shouldn't have used the number "1" in my response because now people will for some reason think that having 2 pass/fail classes will be an issue.

This is not an issue.

Take it if you want. Doesn't seem helpful though. The class might even be counterproductive.
But I doubt Adcoms will care at all.

If students from your same UG apply to the same medical school, took the class, and scored way better than you on the MCAT after you decided not to take it... Admissions may ask why you didn't take it if it was available. I don't see how this could be seen as negative in any way.