Medical Should I take a physics class while studying for the mcat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies if this is not the correct area to post this.

I originally wrote my MCAT last summer and I didn’t do as good as I wanted to (Canadian). If I don’t get accepted to med school this year I should retake the MCAT this summer. I also want to expand my options and apply to USA schools this summer. However the problem is I didn’t take physics 1 (only did physics 2) and it is a prerequisite for basically all the schools. So would it be doable to study for the Mcat while also taking physics 1 condensed? Physics 1 would be running from May 1st to June 15th and I will retake the Mcat like early august or end of July.

Basically my four options are:

1. rush the Mcat retake prep so I can take the Mcat before summer school physics starts. I have all my notes from the first time I took, I just need to work on cars and review my notes again but I feel like I don’t remember anything lol.
  2. just take physics 1 in the summer (lectures are Mon/Wed and virtual (covid) labs Wed) while also studying for the MCAT
  3. screw applying to American med schools and just leave physics and study for the Mcat full time this summer for Canadian schools only. Taking physics in the fall isn’t an option for me because I’m starting my one year masters program in the fall. Also most Canadians don’t get into USA schools so is it even worth it?
  4. take the MCAT and just apply to USA medschools without the physics prerequisite and if I get into a school I can try to take the one physics course the summer prior to matriculation.
If anyone has experience taking a class while also Mcat studying let me know :) thank you!
What does the first part have to do with being (Canadian)?

I would take physics while studying for the MCAT. Chances are if you have taken physics II already, physics I should be pretty straightforward especially already taking the MCAT once I assume you have kinda gone over a lot of physics I material.

Absolutely DO NOT rush the MCAT as this is MUCH more important than this one physics course.

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably do 3, maybe 2. If your preference is to stay in Canada anyways, then taking time to study for an extra physics course seems like you’re just lowering your odds overall—what good does it do you to be able to apply to US schools if your MCAT is still holding you back?

I also agree that you should not rush the MCAT.

Thank you for your response! I am leaning towards option 2 as most people are telling me that there is value to balancing both. I am a very indecisive person though lol
I just kind of don't get the logic. You scored too low on the MCAT to be accepted to Canadian schools... so you're going to take an extra class that may impede your ability to improve your score so that you can apply do schools that require an even higher score?

If you're taking the MCAT in late July/early August, I would also be worried that you're going to get your score back on the late side to be seriously considered for US schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.