Should I take Anatomy just because it's prerequisite for some dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgogogostudy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that UNC and Tennessee require anatomy as prerequisite. I heard that Anatomy at my university requires much studying. I am a senior and already taking heavy course load this semester. Should I take Anatomy just because it is prerequisite for UNC and Tennessee? I feel like it is going to affect my overall performance this semester beccause I will be taking 17 credit hours if I deicide to take Anatomy.

Should I just not take Anatomy and take it in the spring after graduation only if I get accepted to UNC or Tennessee(during my gap year)? I was only thiking to take Anatomy in the spring after I get accepted to UNC or Tennesee since most dental schools do not require anatomy. Would I be looked down upon by UNC or Tennesee if I just tell them I plan on taking them?

Please share your insights! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Pre reqs don't need to be taken before you apply, just before you matriculate. So no, I don't think UNC or Tennesee would look poorly upon your not taking anatomy next sem.

I agree with the last person. If you’re crushing it right now then keep it up and don’t rock the boat. Apply to wherever and if they accept you contingent upon that class, then just take it in your gap.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take it "just because it is a pre-req." I would take it because it will help you when it comes to taking the course in dental school.

But if you think it may affect your GPA, maybe wait to take it til next semester

Reactions: 1 user
For UT you don't need anatomy as long as you've taken either histology or microbiology.

sure dont take anatomy

then die in your first semester of dental school trying to learn all of it in a matter of weeks

Reactions: 1 users