Should I take another gap year before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shapur

Reaction score
Hi
this is my first time posting here. I struggled with writing my PS and took 2 months to write it and now I have it done but I think it's below average(if you can take a look at it that would be great). And I think it is kinda late to apply at this time. I am also a non-canadian international which makes things a lot worse

my stats are: gpa=3.65 (both science and cumulative) MCAT:523 (132/127/132/132)

200 hours of clinical volunteering(including patient interaction) 300 hours non clinical 40 hours research in psychology

I have a feeling that since I am applying late I might have a much lower chance of acceptance and then I have heard that being a re-applicant is a great disadvantage. Should I just apply next year and maybe do some research this year instead of taking my shot this cycle? I would have to do two gap years before med school starts if I don't apply this cycle

Or am I just irrationally anxious to submit my application just the way I was with taking the MCAT and should submit my app anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
this is my first time posting here. I struggled with writing my PS and took 2 months to write it and now I have it done but I think it's below average(if you can take a look at it that would be great). And I think it is kinda late to apply at this time. I am also a non-canadian international which makes things a lot worse

my stats are: gpa=3.65 (both science and cumulative) MCAT:523 (132/127/132/132)

200 hours of clinical volunteering(including patient interaction) 300 hours non clinical 40 hours research in psychology

I have a feeling that since I am applying late I might have a much lower chance of acceptance and then I have heard that being a re-applicant is a great disadvantage. Should I just apply next year and maybe do some research this year instead of taking my shot this cycle? I would have to do two gap years before med school starts if I don't apply this cycle

Or am I just irrationally anxious to submit my application just the way I was with taking the MCAT and should submit my app anyway?
You're not "late" yet. But your ECs could use some beefing up if that's all you have. Besides research, what about leadership, teaching, and physician shadowing? What is your year-by-year GPA trend? Have you gathered your Letters of Recommendation? Do you have access to your university's writing center, premed advisor, or an ex-English professor who can read your Primary Statement and give feedback? Are you a candidate for a green card? Does your nonmedical community service assist those with poor economic resources?

You're not "late" yet. But your ECs could use some beefing up if that's all you have. Besides research, what about leadership, teaching, and physician shadowing? What is your year-by-year GPA trend? Have you gathered your Letters of Recommendation? Do you have access to your university's writing center, premed advisor, or an ex-English professor who can read your Primary Statement and give feedback? Are you a candidate for a green card? Does your nonmedical community service assist those with poor economic resources?

I haven't gathered all the LOR yet but the professors agreed to write them but I don't have the committee letter (I hope that adcoms cannot tell my university offers them). I have done 50h shadowing. I organized a volunteer tutoring group for the economically disadvantaged students. next cycle I should be able to get a committee letter. Do you think that I can apply this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gathered all the LOR yet but the professors agreed to write them but I don't have the committee letter (I hope that adcoms cannot tell my university offers them). I have done 50h shadowing. I organized a volunteer tutoring group for the economically disadvantaged students. next cycle I should be able to get a committee letter. Do you think that I can apply this cycle?
Your shadowing, if it includes primary care, is good to go. The nonmedical community service to those in need looks good, too.

If you attend a small college, any med school in the vicinity will know if your school offers a committee letter. If it's a big school that produces many med school candidates, any med school in the US that tends to accept them will know.

Considering your dearth of research and knowing that many schools that accept internationals value research greatly, and that international candidates tend to be held to a higher standard for ECs and stats, I think your odds are better if you wait until next year to apply (2020-2012 cycle).