Should I take AP Physics or Honors Physics Senior Year

D

deleted421268

FOR AP Physics you need 80 or above in honors chem and 80 or above in honors Algebra 2 or higher math. I got A in honors Algebra 2 and 79 in Honors Chem by end of semester, but got a 89 this current marking period so it will go higher to B range for Chem. My classes for next year Honors Calculus, AP Pysch, and all other classes are regular. Should I take honors physics or AP Physics B next year for senior year??? I want to be a doctor as well and plan on going undergraduate for pre medicine studies. Freshman year took academic physical science, sophomore year too academic bio, and this year took Honors Chemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

It's up to you but I'll break down the major issue for you. If you take AP and score well on the test then you are skipping out on a class or two when you go to college. However, med school pre-reqs require a year of physics either way. Taking the AP course also might make you look better when applying to college. On the other hand if you take honors physics then repeat it in college you might get a more solid foundation when you got to take the MCAT because it covers that first year physics (and in my opinion focuses a lot on kinematics, the first 1/3 of physics). Your choice, good luck.

It does not matter.

Take the physics in college. There are some med schools that don't accept AP credit.

If you do take the class, make sure that you learn the material so that when you do take it in college you remember some of it and the material comes easier.

One hint is to pay attention to the units and use your skills in dimensional analysis (unit conversions) that you should have learned in chemistry.

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
It really doesn't matter. If you take the AP you will still have to take physics in college for pre-med requirements anyway. You might be able to get a better grade in the honors class, so consider GPA. On the other hand, AP might prepare you better for college.

Take the AP with the hopes of doing well in college physics!

I would take AP Physics, assuming that the AP class goes more into depth. I'm taking it right now and it's definitely tough, but it'll help quite a bit in college. You don't necessarily have to take the AP either, because you'll be taking physics again in college anyways.

I dunno, I taking AP Physics B next year though.

I had taken AP Physics B in high school. It's a comprehensive class that pretty much covers what you'll see in college Physics 1 + 2. I don't know if your honors physics course covers the same, but even so, it's better to condition yourself to a more rigorous course load (and it looks better).

Even though you have to retake it in college, do your best (yes even on the AP exam). It is extremely helpful to not be seeing things in college physics for the first time; you'll likely have an easier time getting an A (but still not too easy). The class is a killer for a lot of people.

The material will be even more familiar when you review for the MCAT -- which is ultimately the most important metric in med school admissions.

I recommend that all high schoolers take AP bio/chem/physics b if possible -- and TRY! Don't slack because you think you can learn later. It's basically an investment in a stronger (and more easily achieved) college science GPA, MCAT score, and foundation for med school.