Should I take Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jules0328

DOSchoolWannaBe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing up with my first sequence science classes (in my post bacc) and unfortunately, the physics II class I need to take conflict with Bio II. I still want to take three classes next semester, is it worth it for me to take Calculus? I have already taken Calculus, but at community college and got a C, but I also took this about 8 years ago. Is it worth it taking Calculus or should I go ahead and take another upper level Bio class, like Genetics or Microbiology?

Members don't see this ad.

jules0328 said:
I am currently finishing up with my first sequence science classes (in my post bacc) and unfortunately, the physics II class I need to take conflict with Bio II. I still want to take three classes next semester, is it worth it for me to take Calculus? I have already taken Calculus, but at community college and got a C, but I also took this about 8 years ago. Is it worth it taking Calculus or should I go ahead and take another upper level Bio class, like Genetics or Microbiology?

If I am reading this correctly, is the problem that you cannot take both physics II and bio II next semester, so you want to drop one of those to take calculus? Maybe weigh the benifits versus the costs on this one; if you did not do well last time and you do not need it for physics (assuming it is non calc based) you may want to consiter the latter of your first post.

There was an interesting thread in the pre-allopathic forum regarding calculus vs. non calculus physics (you may want to look it up). I think most people agreed that the non-calculus based physics was better and that taking the physics with calculus made very little difference in terms of MCAT performance. Therefore, I would say take genetics or micro. However, there are many people who I am sure will have greater insight!
:D

Well, I am sure that I could do a lot better this time around in calculus, considering it was 8 years ago and I didnt put much effort into the subject.

As far as physics and bio II, yes, they are currently conflicting with each other for next semester and I really want to take another class, i dont just want to take two classes. I have the loan money covered to take three classes with labs. So, I dont know. I would rather not take physics with calc, and yes, i know about the thread from the pre allo forum because I posted in it, so i am aware. I just dont know what to do.

While taking physics with calc frightens me, I dont know what else to do since I really really want to finish up my pre reqs and take the August MCAT this coming year. If I defer from taking physics II all together, then I would rather not risk taking the MCATs since i will not have taken Physics II yet. What to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you interested in MD or DO programs? If your slogan under your screen name is accurate and you're shooting for DO programs, I wouldn't stress the calculus too much. But, on the other hand, if you're shooting for MD programs, nearly one third of them currently require calculus. By the time you're ready to apply, that number will surely increase as programs become more competitive. If you are thinking about MD programs, I would probably take calculus (this coming from someone who HATES math!!!!) I'm not sure how adcoms would feel about a C from a community college and I'm sure that you could do much better now at this time in your life. I read your post in the non-trads forum about wanting to finish up your pre-reqs and take the MCAT next Aug, and as a fellow 26yo female, I can understand the need to "future plan", but I think that preparation for medical school isn't really something to be rushed. With the proper support system, things will all fall into place. Let me know what you still need to take as far as pre-reqs, so I have a better idea of your timeframe. If you do decide to skip calculus, of the other choices you gave, I would choose micro (but then again, I'm a total micro geek). Hope this helps!!

Hi,

Yeah, I am thinking about retaking calculus. Hmmm....I really need to talk to my advisor. I hate calculus but feel that it may help me in the long run. I plan on applying to both DO and MD programs and dont want to cut myself short of both.

jules0328 said:

Do you specifically plan to apply to a med school that requires Calculus? If not, why don't you take a class that might actually be ueful in medical school or even real life? Microbiology or Biochem are always helpful, especially if you don't have a really substantial science background. IMO, the most helpful classes you can take to prepare for med school are some kind of anatomy or histology course... usually that stuff is completely foreign to people when they get to MS1, and everyone I know who had a background in either one had it a lot easier. Some schools even let you test out of the histology portion of lab before you start school... totally worth those extra few free hours every week.