Should I Take MCAT in 3 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IsScrubsReality

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm signed up for the August 10th MCAT and I've taken 3 AMCAS tests

3R: 28
10R: 29 (really close to a 30)
4R: 25
I also took the 6R in the old format and got a 30.
I took the Princeton Review Free Practice Test and got a 25.

Should I take the MCAT on the 10th or should I move it? I want to get a 30 and I found that most of my mistakes are reading errors, solubility chemistry, or organic chemistry (almost all of the ochem reaction questions I get wrong) errors. The reading errors, though, are the biggest problem. (Any tips to help with those would be helpful too 🙂

I have until the 27th of July to decide, how many more practice tests should I do before then?

Thanks in advance!! 🙂
 
I'm signed up for the August 10th MCAT and I've taken 3 AMCAS tests

3R: 28
10R: 29 (really close to a 30)
4R: 25
I also took the 6R in the old format and got a 30.
I took the Princeton Review Free Practice Test and got a 25.

Should I take the MCAT on the 10th or should I move it? I want to get a 30 and I found that most of my mistakes are reading errors, solubility chemistry, or organic chemistry (almost all of the ochem reaction questions I get wrong) errors. The reading errors, though, are the biggest problem. (Any tips to help with those would be helpful too 🙂

I have until the 27th of July to decide, how many more practice tests should I do before then?

Thanks in advance!! 🙂

I don't see why you shouldn't. You are doing great! even better than me. Do as many tests as you can get your paws on. Ochem isn't too much on the exam. However you need the bare basics like S and R, naming, and basic lab protocols. Chemistry is a must. Reading....... ehhhhhh I hate it tooo. Reading you just have to be in the zone. What I've discover was just to do endless practice. I haven't quite mastered "the zone" but getting there.

I say take 5 more PT, at least, if you have stable scores then GO ATTACK mcat
 
Take 2-3 more AAMC FL exams and decide on the 27th. In between practice exams, really try to find out what you're doing wrong and improve from your mistakes. If you're not averaging 30, your chances of scoring a 30 on the real thing aren't too great and you may want to postpone. Good luck!
 
Thank you both! I appreciate the input, I've been having trouble figuring out how to get the 7 to 8 questions that I read incorrectly or over think right, they're the ones dropping me from 10/11 on a section to 8/9 haha
 
As someone who has already taken the MCAT, I think maybe you should take a few more practice tests before tackling the real one. The numbers a fluctuating a good 5 point range. Maybe narrow it to a 2 point range fluctuation? From personal experience, I would say take all of the available tests, especially the more recent ones, to get a better sense of the test's demands.