Should I take MCAT too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a pre-optometry student (I was almost afraid to say that with all the undue negative comments on this forum concerning optometrists), with a remote interest in maybe being an opththalmologist instead. My question is this: While trying to gather materials to study for the OAT's, I have found that there is almost nothing out there! I have the practice OAT test I was sent and have found that when comparing the questions, they are very similar to those on the MCAT. In fact, I've purchased MCAT study guides and flashcards and they've been very helpful to me so far. So, I was thinking maybe I should take the MCAT too, since I'll be just finishing all the pre reqs and the info will be fresh in my mind? What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

that being said, the question becomes: what is in your heart???

abiff

the mcat is a pretty grueling test. also, scores expires. i think you have to take it within 3 years of applying for most schools. if you don't see yourself applying within the next few years, don't do it. if you think you might, you might as well if you think you'll be prepared and are scoring well in practice.

That's why they're so similar. OAT scores expire in 2 years for most schools, as well. When I went to preview day at UIC (where I'll be finishing my undergrad), the dean told me that pre meds have the same pre reqs for the MCAT that we do for the OAT.
1 yr Biology
1 yr Chemistry
1 yr Organic Chemistry
1 yr Physics--but I believe the Physics section for OAT is harder since we have to have a section that includes optics as well.

I don't know.... we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrLady-

Nooo...unfortunately I won't be there until the summer. I went to "preview day". I'll be a transfer student (you'll be gone when I get there :( )