Should I take microbio before I submit my pharmacy application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacist2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking 20 credits this semester, but 6 of those credits start in March. I'm taking classes for my major (non science), orgo I w/lab, and trigonometry. the 6 credits that start in march are sociology and philosophy (required at schools I'm applying to so I'm taking them). It's not too late to add micro if I want to take it this semester, however the labs are all full so I can only take the lecture portion.

Do you all think having micro completed (even if only the lecture portion) would look really good or doesn't really matter? When I submit my application after this summer is over, the only prereqs I'll have left are:

biochemistry I
physics I
(and micro lab if I do micro this semester, or the full micro if I don't do it...but don't think that is all I'll be doing in the fall, because I have to finish my major too and take at least 12 credits for that)

What do you all think? Is it worth it to overload this semester? Like do you think having micro completed will make a measurable difference? There's no way to do it in the summer because I'm taking classes for my major, calculus, and orgo II w/lab, so it's either now, which would then include it on my transcript by the time I submit my app, or in the fall, where it won't be on my transcript when I send my app. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking 20 credits this semester, but 6 of those credits start in March. I'm taking classes for my major (non science), orgo I w/lab, and trigonometry. the 6 credits that start in march are sociology and philosophy (required at schools I'm applying to so I'm taking them). It's not too late to add micro if I want to take it this semester, however the labs are all full so I can only take the lecture portion.

Do you all think having micro completed (even if only the lecture portion) would look really good or doesn't really matter? When I submit my application after this summer is over, the only prereqs I'll have left are:

biochemistry I
physics I
(and micro lab if I do micro this semester, or the full micro if I don't do it...but don't think that is all I'll be doing in the fall, because I have to finish my major too and take at least 12 credits for that)

What do you all think? Is it worth it to overload this semester? Like do you think having micro completed will make a measurable difference? There's no way to do it in the summer because I'm taking classes for my major, calculus, and orgo II w/lab, so it's either now, which would then include it on my transcript by the time I submit my app, or in the fall, where it won't be on my transcript when I send my app. :confused:
If the schools you're applying to don't require, why put yourself through it? I mean sure it will be good to be exposed to more science, but if you're already maxing out @ 20 credits why max out even more.

Lol I wish! They do require it though. So that's why I'm asking :\

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I wish! They do require it though. So that's why I'm asking :\
Is there an option to take it in the summer? If I were you I'd take it in the summer so you get the FULL lab/lecture. It will be weird splitting up lab/lecture and taking them apart. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

You said you need more pre-reqs so I'm thinking if you can't take it in summer take micro bio in fall. Biochem plus physics and micro will be really nasty... but schools like to see you being challenged. Since you DO need it, I'd say wait on it... do good this semester then take full lab/lecture in fall.

Thanks nicole for your opinion. I was asking my sister but she's only like 14 so she kept telling me to talk to someone else lol. Deep down I don't want to do micro this semester and I would rather not keep the lab and lecture apart as you said, but I also felt pharmacy is so competitive and that maybe I should be pushing myself more.

I can't do it in the summer like I said bc I'm doing calc I, orgo II w/lab (2 sep classes), and at least 2 classes for my major so even if I wanted to do it in the summer, there simply isn't enough time in the day to include it and it would clash with the other hours. So thats why I wanted some other opinions. But I think you're right and hopefully it won't be too many points against me to do it in the fall...I guess the more important thing is a great GPA. and since almost all of my prereqs would be completed by the time I submit my app, it should be alright I hope. thanks a lot for your insight!

If you are applying in the 2010-2011 cycle for Fall 2011 admissions, I don't think it would be much of an issue to take the class next year.

I was missing a couple random classes and marked them as "In Progress/IP" when filling out the application. I'm sure you'll be fine, you said you already completed almost all of the pre-reqs.

I was given an interview with a few core classes still in progress.