Should I take my Calc 1 at the university or community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hagu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking calc at my university, and they have a crappy math department. I took my first exam and failed miserably, I won't get an A at this point. I would be lucky to get a B. My advisor said to take at the CC. and at the cc it is 5 credit class, while at the university its 3 credit class. And this class is a prereq, so I dont know how they will look at the class being taken at the CC.

Members don't see this ad.

Most people on SDN will tell you to take your science courses at your university even if you get a B (it's not going to kill you). It doesn't look good to go "back" to CC to take a science course, makes you look weak or something.

It's only "ok" to take science courses at a CC if thats where you first started and then you transferred to a University.

Most med schools don't have specific math requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think calc at a community college should be fine. Really try to take your core science classes at your university, but honestly the math requirement is very loose at most med schools from what I saw when applying. Also recommend if you have any interest in future research take a stats course in lieu of a calc II equivalent.

I'm taking all of my science classes at the university. It's just the calc. Will it really make me look weak if go back for one class?

I'm no expert but one math class shouldn't matter. Can you take it with a better professor?

No it's too late for that. I have to get a w