MD Should I take part in grade enhancement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jserallim

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope you’re doing well. I wanted to know whether I should look to take part in some sort of enhancement in order to be competitive for MD schools.

cGPA: 3.59
BCMP: 3.29

I’ve been told that my cumulative gpa is fine but a science gpa under 3.4 is considered low and combined with a downward trend is even more of a concern.

Some background:
I’m a URM. I graduated this past May from an ivy after transferring from a public 4 year uni. My grades were fairly consistent my first two years but have been on a downward trend ever since the pandemic began with my last semester being my worst (~ 3.1 gpa). I have some shadowing experience overseas and I just recently got hired as an ER medical scribe. I’m taking the MCAT for the first time in January and I’m hoping to accumulate as many clinical and volunteer hours until the application cycle opens up next year.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the grades in your biomedical classes? What are your specific GPA's by semester? What is your state residency? Can you fill out a WAMC template?
- Race: Latino
- State: NY
- Volunteer: Translator-Interpreter Program, Soup Kitchen, Assistant Teacher at US citizenship classes, Crisis Text Line (currently in the training process), currently no clinical volunteer experience but currently looking for opportunities (kinda hard to find with covid)
- Shadowing: ~ 20 hrs shadowing overseas
- Clinical Hours: none right now but was just hired as an ER medical scribe
- Research Experience: none unfortunately :(
- MCAT: will take for first time in January
- Looking to Apply both MD and DO

cGPA: 3.587
AMCAS science GPA: 3.366
AACOMAS science GPA: 3.49
(I calculated using Medical School Headquarters GPA calculator)

Year 1 Fall: 3.8
Year 1 Spring: 3.8
Year 2 Fall: 3.369
Year 2 Spring: 3.75
Year 3 Fall: 3.554
Year 3 Spring: 3.6
Year 4 Fall: 3.456
Year 4 Spring: 3.138

Gen Chem 1: A-
Gen Chem 1 Lab: B+
Gen Chem 2: A
Gen Chem 2 Lab: A-
Organic Chemistry I: B+
Organic Chemistry II: B
Organic Chemistry Lab: C+
Molecular and Cellular Biology: B
General Biology and Lab: A
Intro Bio Comparative Physiology: B+
Genetics: B
Biochemistry: B+
Microbiology: B
Physics 1: A-
Physics 2: B-
Calculus I: A-
Calculus II: A
Biological Statistics: B
Applied Mathematics in modern Technology: A

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hours for your comm service volunteering would be appreciated.

You have had NO clinical exposure in the United States? Where are you going to get a doctor's reference letter?

Yeah, you need to wait until you get through with at least 150 hours. Sure, at least you got an opportunity after you finish your training as a scribe and a crisis counselor, but you need to get a record of working and reflecting upon your experiences where doctors make an impact. This includes low-income clinics where possible. I would also make a lot of effort checking out LMSA chapters at the medical schools you are interested in for MD or DO.

Honestly your grades don't look horrible, and your sGPA is just low enough that maybe a good postbac or SMP may help you, but you need this clinical experience covered first and get a strong MCAT score.

Reactions: 2 users
Hours for your comm service volunteering would be appreciated.

You have had NO clinical exposure in the United States? Where are you going to get a doctor's reference letter?

Yeah, you need to wait until you get through with at least 150 hours. Sure, at least you got an opportunity after you finish your training as a scribe and a crisis counselor, but you need to get a record of working and reflecting upon your experiences where doctors make an impact. This includes low-income clinics where possible. I would also make a lot of effort checking out LMSA chapters at the medical schools you are interested in for MD or DO.

Honestly your grades don't look horrible, and your sGPA is just low enough that maybe a good postbac or SMP may help you, but you need this clinical experience covered first and get a strong MCAT score.
Thanks for your advice! I'll focus on scoring high on the MCAT and gaining clinical experience so that hopefully I wont need to pursue a postbacc or SMP

I had the same sGPA as you (3.37) although I did have a significant upward trend, scored a 516 on the MCAT, and got several interviews was accepted MD without doing any GPA repair. As long as you do well on the MCAT and gain solid clinical experience, you should be fine without a post-bacc!