Should I take step 1 to match fm california?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camng11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

OMS 3 here. Long story short, did not felt prepared to take step 1 during dedicated and only took COMLEX - ended up in the 510-520 range. How greater of a chance would I have if I had a step 1 score? Step 1 restudying requires a lot of effort, although I have taken a few shelf exams which helped review some step 1 material. I would really like to hear someone who is knowledgeable about this specifically to match in CA for FM.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you just want somewhere in California or specific programs

I say yes. Cause its California. But use the NBMEs to tell you if your good (22o+ is my recommendation in case you have a test day drop).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you just want somewhere in California or specific programs

It would be nice to be at specific programs, but Im ok with anywhere in CA except for 2 programs.

Last edited:
If you were a second year, I'd definitely say yes.

But since you're a third year, think long and hard about how much you can realistically study while you're on rotations. Tough love but if you didn't hit your goal COMLEX after dedicated, are you sure you're going to hit your goal USMLE with not-dedicated studying? Make sure the benefit of getting a good USMLE score is worth the risk of tanking it. And definitely don't attempt it without solid NBME numbers.

I would reach out to the program coordinators (not directors) of programs in which you are interested, and ask them directly if they consider applicants with just comlex on par with those who took usmle. I believe there may also be some AOA (or formerly so) FM residencies as well and I'm sure they would take just comlex. Hell they might even prefer that.

If you were a second year, I'd definitely say yes.

But since you're a third year, think long and hard about how much you can realistically study while you're on rotations. Tough love but if you didn't hit your goal COMLEX after dedicated, are you sure you're going to hit your goal USMLE with not-dedicated studying? Make sure the benefit of getting a good USMLE score is worth the risk of tanking it. And definitely don't attempt it without solid NBME numbers.
If his dedicated was anything like my schools dedicated, then it wasn't all that dedicated. I have more time to study in rotations then I ever did in 2nd year.

While it can certainly help if you score well, you don't want to close doors with a low score. I applied to a bunch of FM programs in CA when I couldn't decide between IM and FM (long story). Anyway, I never took the USMLE and still got 10+ interviews in CA alone.

Reactions: 1 user
Call California and ask them

Hi,

OMS 3 here. Long story short, did not felt prepared to take step 1 during dedicated and only took COMLEX - ended up in the 510-520 range. How greater of a chance would I have if I had a step 1 score? Step 1 restudying requires a lot of effort, although I have taken a few shelf exams which helped review some step 1 material. I would really like to hear someone who is knowledgeable about this specifically to match in CA for FM.

I personally know a few people with 210s Step 1 with II to FM programs in Cali like Loma Linda and some of the UC's in the current cycle.

Your chances of getting those IIs without a USMLE is 0%