Should I take Step 2 for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OverlyRomantic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

Sorry for the post, but I do need advice - I am trying to match into a bigish city with a university (my fiance is in higher education). I would prefer the NE, but any region of the country is fine. I do not want to be sub-specialize (I want to be a hospitalist) and am fine with a community program. I have one red flag (failed 1st semester by 1 point in a class, had some family issues). Since then:
  1. Average class rank
  2. COMLEX 1 of 543 (did not take STEP 1, I was not getting good practice scores so I cancelled).
  3. Passed all COMATS taken so far - Honors in all so far
I thought I would be able to take STEP 1 during 3 year, but it has been tough so far. Question is, Will taking STEP 2 along with COMLEX 2 help my apps, or is it not worth it since I did not take STEP 1?

Members don't see this ad.

You should take either Step 1 if you feel you can get >215 or Step 2 if you feel you can get >230

Reactions: 1 user
Well, what programs are you interested in? Do they require step? Are they ok with only COMLEX?

I took both step 1 and 2 and I feel like it helped me get interviews at places I wouldn’t have with COMLEX alone. I had one interviewer say she was relieved I had taken USMLE because she couldn’t interpret the “complex” score lol.
Taking step 1 and 2 would be a bear. Just my .02 but perhaps just prepare hard for step 2 and do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, if interested in competitive IM sub-specialty (GI, Cards, Pulm/CC, Hem/Onc, Rheum) in which case you would want to land at least in a low tier University program or a decent community program with these fellowship in-house. No, if you only want to do community IM and practice General IM.

Edit: just noticed you did not take Step 1. You would want that for the first option as well.

Last edited:
if you want to end up in a big city, step 1 and 2 is a must... step 2 alone, I don’t think does much.. especially if programs filter you out by step 1 score

Step 2 isn't really necessary for community programs. Good luck getting a university program in the NE without step 1 and with below avg comlex level 1. You need to use uworld for level 2 if you didn't use it for level 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Start making a program list and contact the program coordinators. Without step 1 idk how much step 2 will help. It’s possible to get IM with your comlex scores but idk which biggish cities

I'm not an IM applicant, but I think if you plan on applying without a step 1 score then you might as well just forego the step 2 also.