Should I take Step 3 this fall before applying?

Started by rachana
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rachana

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an R2 at a mid tier midwestern university medicine program. I'm applying to GI this year, have done some research, presenting 2 posters (at acg and aasld) this fall, maybe 1 or 2 publications by the spring, average Step 1, slightly above average Step 2 scores. My program requires us to take Step 3 before we finish second year. My call months are clustered over the winter months, so I can take Step 3 at the end of November (after 1 wk vacation, 2 wks on busy consult svc) or in the spring in March or April when I will hopefully have a little more time to study on elective months (but will also be busy with interviewing??) I expect my score will probably be about the same as Step 1/2 esp if I take it in the fall when I wont' have much study time.

Will programs looks unfavorably on me for not having yet taken Step 3 when they download my application in December and when handing out interviews? Also, how many interviews can I expect to get?? Thanks to anyone who wants to weigh in!