Should I take the ACT?

tennisgrlcc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether I should take the ACT or not. I'm a little hesitant with taking it, because I have no prepared at all! Haven't done any practice tests or anything, I've always been focusing on the SAT. I took my SAT two months ago (I'm in my junior year) for the first time and made a total score of 1490. Not where I want it!!! I'm planning on retaking it the end of junior year. I'm nervous that if I take the ACT and do extremely bad and make a horrible score and it hurts me getting into college.

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan to take the ACT at some point, I'd suggest taking it early because you can get a feel for the test and how it runs, even if you dont do as well as you wanted. I would recommend taking it early, so you have chances to take it again if need be.

Back in my day, several/many years ago, I know that many colleges seemed to value the SAT over the ACT, I don't know if that's still true to any extent. Furthermore, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can take the SAT as many times as you want now right? And then choose to submit whichever scores you want. I don't know if the college will be able to see all your scores, but if that is the case, I would recommend retaking the SAT after doing more review + practice exams, until you achieve a score you're happy with.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ACT and SAT are weighed exactly the same. I suggest taking both multiple times to be sure you get the best possible score.

I'd recommend taking it, just to see which test you like more. Most people I've talked to have said they preferred one or the other.