Should I take the GRE before applying this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elgaeCB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, many programs have waived their GRE for this year. That being said, my wife who is applying to clinical psych PhDs is curious as to whether taking it would help or not. She has taken it before and scored 100% on quantitative but the score unfortunately expired. Is it worth the time and money sink to go back and study for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the programs she is applying to waive it

Members don't see this ad :)
If the programs have waived it I don't think I would re-take it, though I would send the old score despite it being expired.

Different schools are handling this differently. We are looking at GRE scores that come in, but are not requiring it due to the pandemic. In a case like this we would certainly look at the old score, which it sounds like she would want included.

I know there are some other programs that are not looking at GRE scores at all. In this case, the program would likely just toss the score, but she is no worse for sending it along.

So, I agree with the others, but I would send the old score (even if just unofficially) for those that do consider it.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought I would come back and re-post here because it is amazing what can change in a week. We found out that since we have made our GRE optional our graduate school won't forward any GRE scores regardless of whether or not you send them. It sounds like this has become the default choice for a lot of schools over the last week. Thus, there may be no incentive for sending GRE scores at all now. Just thought I would pass that along.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought I would come back and re-post here because it is amazing what can change in a week. We found out that since we have made our GRE optional our graduate school won't forward any GRE scores regardless of whether or not you send them. It sounds like this has become the default choice for a lot of schools over the last week. Thus, there may be no incentive for sending GRE scores at all now. Just thought I would pass that along.
Thanks for everyone's input, she has canceled her test.