1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I take the MCAT before asking for LORs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by xmsr3, Dec 15, 2008.

1. xmsr3

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am preparing my LORs now but I will be taking my mcat April 18th, 2009 and applying June 1, 2009. Should I wait until I get my results in before asking for my LORs or can I go ahead and do that now?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can do that now. Most letter writers would appreciate a resume, transcript, and possible personal statement. Its not their place to ask how you did on the MCAT or request that information.

4. CourageKid

CourageKid Don't mind me
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You want to give your writers as much time as possible to craft their letters. So definitely ask before April. The longer you wait, the greater the chance that a letter will either be hastily written or late and delay you application.

Plus, if these people know you well, your MCAT score shouldn't really affect their overall opinion of you.

5. chemnerd89

chemnerd89 In it for the lulz
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Definitely ask early and often for letters. Your recommenders WILL forget.

6. Dr Lyss

Dr Lyss Professional Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LORs are more about your performance in school & character references. The MCAT isn't necessary. Give your writers plenty of time & the info Bacchus mentioned and you should be just fine.

7. Chemist0157

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ask for LORS ASAP, and don't be afraid to remind your writers about how badly you need them! They do tend to forget.

8. TeamZissou

TeamZissou jaferd
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree, ask for them ASAP! They held up my application this year. Also depending on who they are some will want your MCAT score but go ahead and at least get the ball rolling and ask them early. Then the ones who want your MCAT score first go ahead and just update them when you have it.