Should I take this offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedfan100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Faculty member from an MD school that I shadowed keeps insisting to write a letter on my behalf directly to admissions committees from MD,DO schools I have not heard back from yet.

It is a very generous offer and I would love to take it but I am hesitant due to 1) adcoms seeing this as me pestering them and 2)they don't care about a random letter from a random person telling them they should interview me.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Faculty member from an MD school that I shadowed keeps insisting to write a letter on my behalf directly to admissions committees from MD,DO schools I have not heard back from yet.

It is a very generous offer and I would love to take it but I am hesitant due to 1) adcoms seeing this as me pestering them and 2)they don't care about a random letter from a random person telling them they should interview me.

why wasn't he one of the letter writers you submitted to AMCAS?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

One more LOR from an MD isn't going to help you. Get a DO LOR instead.

For the school I matriculated in, an extra letter from an MD I worked for got my interview moved up 2 months. I don't think it would hurt. I'm a DO student.

Reactions: 1 users
Do they know you personally? I can’t imagine a whole lot of insight can be gleaned from a shadowing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

why wasn't he one of the letter writers you submitted to AMCAS?
shadowing experience was recent, and his offer even more so.

One more LOR from an MD isn't going to help you. Get a DO LOR instead.
i do have a pretty strong DO LOR already but i understand that another would be even better.

For the school I matriculated in, an extra letter from an MD I worked for got my interview moved up 2 months. I don't think it would hurt. I'm a DO student.
sent directly to adcoms or uploaded to aacomas?

Do they know you personally? I can’t imagine a whole lot of insight can be gleaned from a shadowing experience.
spent a lot of time with the physician, and he claims he knows enough about me to be my advocate and write a strong letter

If you're in a tight spot and not seeing any luck, it can't hurt at all. But like Goro said, if you're looking for a DO school, an extra MD letter isn't going to help. It really isn't the biggest deal to wait another year and apply again either.