Should I take time to adjust to my new glasses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deltaforce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have been using the following prescription for almost a year.

Sphere Cylinder Axis Add PD Prism
OD +1.50 +1.00 105 - 32 -
OS +1.50 +1.25 60 - 36 -

My new prescription is

Sphere Cylinder Axis Add PD Prism
OD +2.50 +1.00 105 - 32 -
OS +3.00 +1.25 60 - 36 -

I am close to 40. I started using my new glasses since today morning and everything I see is fuzzy. Called up ophthalmologist's office, who gave me this Rx and was told to keep using for 2 weeks. If it doesn't work out, call them back.

What does your experience say? Is this jump big enough to cause a trouble with the adjustment, or it should work out right off the bat? I have been using glasses for almost 22 years now. So a change in Rx is not new. This has never happened in the past. This is driving me nuts. Just want to make sure that something is not off big time.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This is not the place for this kind of question. You should go back and get a recheck. If things are blurry, it most likely won't get better with "adjusting." If by day 2 you think something is wrong, go back and get seen sooner because waiting I'm doubtful will do anything.

"adjusting to glasses" usually isn't something related to clarity in most cases (certainly not something I'd suspect in a 40 year old) - usually it's related to the world feeling tilted or getting used to a bifocal. In a 40 yr old, clarity should be instantaneous if light correctly focuses on the retina.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking in generalities, that is a very large change in prescription. You would not normally see that amount of change in one year.
I agree. Actually, my case is little different and probably not most common. If an optometrist checks my eyesight, these numbers will come back a lot different (around +0.75 and+1.0) , but for last 8 years, I had serious migraine issues. I noticed that it takes more than an hour for my dilated pupils to come back to the rest position. The opthalmologist checked my eyesight when the pupils were dialated. Miraculously, that addressed my painful migraine.

According to the opthalmologist, my eyesight number in dilated form is a lot bigger (around +4.5) than this one but since he can not jump to that number directly, we are going in stepwise fashion. While the first prescription addressed migraine quickly, they started coming back by the end of this year. Then I got the next prescription. I expect this number to increase every year, but during our discussion, he didn't mention a possibility of such blurriness. I am certainly going back to him but his waiting is 3 months. Hence this question, should I just force my eyesight to adjust or put the glasses away and wait for the appt.

Again, I do not think this forum is the place for this question. We are just speculating Go back to your doctor and let them know. If the prescription is wrong, they can figure it out. If the glasses were made wrong, they can figure it out. If you truly are a latent hyperope, there are tactics they can help you get used to the glasses in office. It never hurts to get a second opinion. Forcing yourself to wear the glasses is not going to kill you, but (in most 40yr adult cases) if something feels wrong (read: blurry) usually after one or two days of wear, it likely won't get better.

Just had a word with the opthalmologist, the front desk gave me a wrong prescription. Will be collecting a correct prescription on Monday. Thank for all the comments.