should i tell a program if i'm not ranking them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redcheeks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I don't HAVE to do this, but would it be nice to do it? I interviewed at a program and liked several things about it; after interview, I sent them a thank you letter telling them some of the things I liked, although I made no commitment in terms of ranking. I have decided for other reasons not to rank them at all - would it be curteous to let the PD know so he can adjust his ROL, or should I not bother?

Members don't see this ad.

I know I don't HAVE to do this, but would it be nice to do it? I interviewed at a program and liked several things about it; after interview, I sent them a thank you letter telling them some of the things I liked, although I made no commitment in terms of ranking. I have decided for other reasons not to rank them at all - would it be curteous to let the PD know so he can adjust his ROL, or should I not bother?

I don't know if a PD would really see it as courteous. He or she might actually be offended, depending on his or her ego. Suppose, God forbid, you end up having to scramble and that program happens to be on the list of unfilled programs? I'm not saying you'll have to scramble, just giving a worst-case scenario. The PD might remember you as that applicant who interviewed and was not interested at the time, so why should he grant you a residency position now?

I don't know if a PD would really see it as courteous. He or she might actually be offended, depending on his or her ego. Suppose, God forbid, you end up having to scramble and that program happens to be on the list of unfilled programs? I'm not saying you'll have to scramble, just giving a worst-case scenario. The PD might remember you as that applicant who interviewed and was not interested at the time, so why should he grant you a residency position now?

If the OP ends up in the scramble and if the mentioned program has an opening, then either 1) the OP didn;t rank the program or 2) the program didn't rank the OP. It will be obvious which is the case. If the program didn't rank the OP, it's unlikely they'd take them in the scramble.

Personally, I don't think it matters. I wouldn't go out of your way to tell them, but I wouldn't lie either. I'd simply leave it alone at this point.

it's not necessary. doing so gains you nothing and could possibly hurt you. i wouldn't do it.