General Admissions & OTCAS Should I try nursing again or switch to OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aeju46

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to my nursing program, got accepted, failed a class, retook it and passed, then I failed another and now I'm out the program (it's the 2 strikes & you're out policy). I'm passionate about helping people. I love the satisfaction in knowing I helped someone in any way, shape, or form. I love being around people and being in their presence. The healthcare field is amazing.. For some weird reason I just love being in hospitals doing work or really any other healthcare setting. My advisor recommended I should look into physical or occupational therapy. I researched both careers, especially OT because I never heard of that. I honestly wish I knew about OT before nursing. Let me know what y'all think. It's so hard for me to be hopeful about the future but at the same time I'm embracing this change and taking it as God directing my path. I would love to take another attempt in nursing considering I know what I did wrong, however I'm sure other nursing programs or even OT programs won't accept someone who failed out a nursing program. :( Currently I'm a sociology major, graduating this December. I'm only 22, GPA 3.45.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-19_16-15-46.png
    upload_2017-4-19_16-15-46.png
    768 bytes · Views: 51
My cousin went through the same thing! We had a family event happen which was the reason for her failing the second time and she tried to appeal it but it didn't go through. She was debating between OT cause I told her about it and whether she wanted to go back to nursing. She ended up choosing nursing because this was the path she felt like she had always meant to take, so she is currently in a program to get her ASN which is just an associate's and will go back to get her BSN later on once she gets some career experience. She is also currently a PCA in a hospital setting so she can land a full time offer hopefully from the hospital later on once she gets her degree. Sorry if this wasn't much help, I hope it gave you some perspective!

yeah, there are probably other people who failed their program and were accepted somewhere else. I would stick to nursing and self-reflect on what you did wrong.

Personally speaking, PT/OT school is harder than a BSN. I have classmates who are RNs who progressed to OT/PT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So you didn't actually start the nursing program before you failed out? By your last sentence, it seems like you're still a senior in undergrad. Sorry, I'm trying to understand the situation before I give a proper suggestion. I'd have to say nursing is pretty different from PT/OT. If you have a gap year with relevant experience/making up the classes you failed, I don't see why you wouldn't have shot at another Nursing program.

So you didn't actually start the nursing program before you failed out? By your last sentence, it seems like you're still a senior in undergrad. Sorry, I'm trying to understand the situation before I give a proper suggestion. I'd have to say nursing is pretty different from PT/OT. If you have a gap year with relevant experience/making up the classes you failed, I don't see why you wouldn't have shot at another Nursing program.
I started the nursing program and then failed out. I had to change my major since they won't let me reapply.

I applied to my nursing program, got accepted, failed a class, retook it and passed, then I failed another and now I'm out the program (it's the 2 strikes & you're out policy). I'm passionate about helping people. I love the satisfaction in knowing I helped someone in any way, shape, or form. I love being around people and being in their presence. The healthcare field is amazing.. For some weird reason I just love being in hospitals doing work or really any other healthcare setting. My advisor recommended I should look into physical or occupational therapy. I researched both careers, especially OT because I never heard of that. I honestly wish I knew about OT before nursing. Let me know what y'all think. It's so hard for me to be hopeful about the future but at the same time I'm embracing this change and taking it as God directing my path. I would love to take another attempt in nursing considering I know what I did wrong, however I'm sure other nursing programs or even OT programs won't accept someone who failed out a nursing program. :( Currently I'm a sociology major, graduating this December. I'm only 22, GPA 3.45.

It sounds like you've had a rough go of it and I definitely feel for you. I think we can all give our opinions and theoretical outcomes but you really won't know what may happen until you try. Maybe call around to a few OT programs that are in your area or one's that interest you and see what they say. They may be able to give you better suggestions than any of us since this is what they do. We're all pretty clueless when it comes to figuring out what kind of student they will accept, let alone trying to predict what your chances will be. If you haven't already, shadow an OT and talk to a few schools.

I wanted to also add that a lot of OT schools have stricter policies for grades. For instance, the school I will be starting at in the Fall states if you get 2 C's, you are kicked out of the program. That's not 2 C's in a class, that's a C on a homework assignment or a test and you're done. So, if you failed a couple classes in nursing school, you may also struggle with OT school. The profession looks very doable from afar but I think a lot of people don't realize how much OT's have to learn and the depth of what they are taught. I think if OT is calling to you, try to pursue it for a year or so and see what happens. You could always become an OTA if OT school isn't an option for you OR find another job in a hospital, like a clinical research coordinator.

What classes did you fail and why? OT and PT school are definitely not easier than nursing. Different subject matter in some regards, but not an easy route, especially considering that OT/PT school are graduate level degrees and nursing is only a Bachelors. Graduate programs, as mentioned, are more strict regarding grades. A C is considered failing. And that's pretty much ALL graduate level work, in any field (not just health care).

Reactions: 2 users
I can't tell you which you should study, but I will say that one advantage nursing offers is a lot of room for career advancement: RN --> BSN ---> NP. You can easily bust into the 6 figures as an NP. That's not going to happen for most OTs. OT is GREAT, but I think you should be mindful of that one + for nursing.

I will say that OT is a lot "cleaner" especially in outpatient settings. You have to deal with a lot less "gross" stuff than nurses do. You get over it quickly I have found. If you work in acute care or SNF you simply get used to it.

I appreciate everyone's input! Something in my spirit is telling me to do nursing again. I just can't let it go :( Looking at the reasons I failed on both occurrences, I feel like I should try again.

Reactions: 1 users
Just make sure you correct whatever messed you up from getting passing grades. Probably an issue with study strategy.

Just make sure you correct whatever messed you up from getting passing grades. Probably an issue with study strategy.
I definitely will! I'm going to try again fall 2018, so during my time off I'm going to look through nclex practice books and brush off on any skills, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely will! I'm going to try again fall 2018, so during my time off I'm going to look through nclex practice books and brush off on any skills, etc.

Think of the money you are wasting if you sign up for another program and don't fix what went wrong. Try not committing yourself to too many obligations: family, work etc. Develop study habits which work. If you can't do it, don't waste your money and time enrolling in another program. I am pretty sure you can do it, if you put your mind to it.

My cousin went through the same thing! We had a family event happen which was the reason for her failing the second time and she tried to appeal it but it didn't go through. She was debating between OT cause I told her about it and whether she wanted to go back to nursing. She ended up choosing nursing because this was the path she felt like she had always meant to take, so she is currently in a program to get her ASN which is just an associate's and will go back to get her BSN later on once she gets some career experience. She is also currently a PCA in a hospital setting so she can land a full time offer hopefully from the hospital later on once she gets her degree. Sorry if this wasn't much help, I hope it gave you some perspective!
Did your cousin have trouble getting accepted into another program?