Should I use my AP credits or retake the classes? [Physics]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frostyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I took both AP Physics C exams (mechanics and E&M) during my senior year of high school and got 5s on both tests, giving me credit for both semesters of general physics at my college. On the one hand, some have told me that I should retake these classes because medical schools would like to see my physics abilities at the collegiate level and not just through the AP tests (which have tremendous curves). On the other hand, others say I should not retake the classes because doing so would make it look like I am simply trying to boost my STEM GPA.

I don't want to take upper-level physics classes to create a physics GPA for medical schools because those courses simply do not appeal to me. I'm also not entirely sure if medical schools would even be able to see that I originally had the credit for both semesters of physics because my school wipes out AP credits if you retake a class that you already qualified for.

I already "took the easy route" when I retook general chemistry I + II this past year even though I scored a 5 on the AP chemistry test so I'm worried that medical schools will think that I'm a GPA-grubber if I retake physics. I'm also already using my BC calculus credit to substitute for 2 semesters of math (but I'm not retaking calc I+II) so I don't want to look like I'm avoiding a bunch of traditional "weed-outs".

Lastly, since I'm not from California, I'm pretty sure that most medical schools that I would eventually apply to accept AP credit in lieu of college coursework.

So, do you guys think I should retake these classes? I feel as though I have a solid grasp on mechanics, but am completely lost when it comes to physics II (electricity and magnetism) if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

You can check on the MSAR whether or not a school will accept AP credit for a required class.

My personal advice is: AP out of it. Not having to take a teaching lab is a huge blessing, at least here where they are all insanely time consuming and annoying.

Reactions: 1 user
I APed/tested out/transferred out of anything I could. Your time can be better spent taking upper level courses (not necessarily physics) and getting research done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm probably wrong, but I thought that most medical schools don't accept AP credit in lieu of college coursework?

I used this website as a reference: http://students.rice.edu/uploadedFi..._Advising/AP Credit - Allopathic Medicine.pdf

The only schools that I would consider with a Y* (meaning I would need to take an upper level to satisfy the requirement) are UChicago, UConn, Vanderbilt, Tufts, and USC (not that I'm heart-set on these schools, but they seem like viable options and don't want to rule them out because I wouldn't retake physics.)

SUNY Stony Brook and University of Rochester also only accept 1 semester's worth of AP credit for physics.

University of Miami doesn't accept the physics credit at all.

I APed/tested out/transferred out of anything I could. Your time can be better spent taking upper level courses (not necessarily physics) and getting research done.

Would not having any physics grades on my transcript pose a problem with admission officers though?

Would not having any physics grades on my transcript pose a problem with admission officers though?

A strong MCAT score in the physical sciences would allay any and all concerns. And besides, your quantitative aptitude can be demonstrated by your performance in math and chemistry courses.

The only point of physics as far as medical schools are concerned is whether you can understand the physical processes driving the human body. It's not like adcoms will demand you to calculate the Fourier transform of an EKG/EEG or something.

@Lawper covered it. In my case I was double majoring and trying to finish in 3 yrs so I saw no point in wasting time redoing coursework I already mastered. I figured my 14/15 PS score (old scale) would ease any concerns and I didn't run into any issues.