Should I wait to go to Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 and 19 mcat? You'll be lucky if they even let you apply to harvard for the rejection letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously, why the crimson fever? If research quality (as measured by the ability of faculty to obtain NIH grants) is any measure of prestige, Harvard's not even in the top 25.

This is stupid since Harvard has more private funding than most, if not all, other colleges.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 3.5 undergrad, 3.3 grad, 21 and 19 on the Mcat 2 years ago. I want to go to Harvard medical school. Do you think it is worth it to do a post bacc and try to get a 3.9 GPA then take the mcat early next year and then apply to the 2009 cycle @ Harvard. I really want to go to Harvard MED. The past 7 years I just spent to much time working and supporting my family, I didn't realize how much I was hurting my education and my shot at getting into Harvard.

Can any one tell me the things I must do to get into Harvard Med? I'm willing to start over.

After residency, I want to match into Orthopedic surgery and I'm not sure how other schools will prepare me to match into that particular field. I know Harvard has the reputation for being the best.
Dude... What...I hope you are kidding.. You got a 19 on the Mcat.. only to improve to a 21? 7-7-7... wow.. Harvard.. haha how about any medical school? Your grades arent hot $hit either..
Orthopedic surgery? You must be joking dude.
Im sorry but it may not be as simple as "starting over" you should have had your stuff together from day one. Jive what im saying?
But if you REALLY want to get in Ill tell you a couple things that will get you in forshigitty..

-Save not one ( youre passed the point of just needing to save one ) but all african babies from dying for the rest of this year.
-Come up with a cure for HIV/AIDS
-Come up with a cure for cancer..
And.... hmmm what else..
-Oh and end world hunger!

Do all of those and you are golden!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

this is an old thread, resurrected to appreciate the posts by the OP, bigman, and pfarmer

21 and 19 mcat? You'll be lucky if they even let you apply to harvard for the rejection letter.

speaking from experience, the Harvard rejection letter was actually really nice, nicest one I got this cycle (I didn't even send in a secondary, but the $30 for the primary was worth it for that letter, haha) - they said in there that they "look forward for my application for residency or fellowship", etc. - oh, perchance to dream...

from my (many) rejection letters, I learned that HMS and UCSF are truly class acts.

Last edited:
Dude... What...I hope you are kidding.. You got a 19 on the Mcat.. only to improve to a 21? 7-7-7... wow.. Harvard.. haha how about any medical school? Your grades arent hot $hit either..
Orthopedic surgery? You must be joking dude.
Im sorry but it may not be as simple as "starting over" you should have had your stuff together from day one. Jive what im saying?
But if you REALLY want to get in Ill tell you a couple things that will get you in forshigitty..

-Save not one ( youre passed the point of just needing to save one ) but all african babies from dying for the rest of this year.
-Come up with a cure for HIV/AIDS
-Come up with a cure for cancer..
And.... hmmm what else..
-Oh and end world hunger!

Do all of those and you are golden!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its funny there are still people replying to this guy 2 years later.
Why did Bigman ever get banned? That was the best post I've ever seen on any forum

lol, I had a friend that applied to harvard and yale just to frame the rejection letters.

And to the person defending this tool... give me a break. It's insulting to everyone that worked hard for 4 straight years to have someone post stats like that and then talk about harvard or bust.... That guy would have to cure cancer to have a shot at harvard..... and then MAYBE

lol, I had a friend that applied to harvard and yale just to frame the rejection letters.

And to the person defending this tool... give me a break. It's insulting to everyone that worked hard for 4 straight years to have someone post stats like that and then talk about harvard or bust.... That guy would have to cure cancer to have a shot at harvard..... and then MAYBE

It insults you personally? Get over yourself.

I heard the OP ended up at BU and is in some legal trouble with some Craigslist thing. Maybe if Harvard would've let him in, he wouldn't be so delinquent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Impressive....

I heard the OP ended up at BU and is in some legal trouble with some Craigslist thing. Maybe if Harvard would've let him in, he wouldn't be so delinquent.
NICE.

this is an old thread, resurrected to appreciate the posts by the OP, bigman, and pfarmer

What an epic thread.

Just quoting to reiterate, since people are still responding to this thread as if it's not from 2007.
:laugh:

it maybe from 2007, but it is a very relevant topic at hand, okay! its important for everyone to know if the op can get into harvard.

it maybe from 2007, but it is a very relevant topic at hand, okay! its important for everyone to know if the op can get into harvard.

It's okay. We've already established it is possible and, in fact, his MCAT mysteriously jumped from a 21 his second time to a 42 his third time and Harvard, of course, offered him not only an acceptance but also a full-ride because they were so impressed. Did I mention, the OP managed to bring his 3.5 cumulative GPA based on over 120 units to a perfect 4.0 (cum.) in only 1 semester?

It's okay. We've already established it is possible and, in fact, his MCAT mysteriously jumped from a 21 his second time to a 42 his third time and Harvard, of course, offered him not only an acceptance but also a full-ride because they were so impressed. Did I mention, the OP managed to bring his 3.5 cumulative GPA based on over 120 units to a perfect 4.0 (cum.) in only 1 semester?

i believed you, until i read that.

:laugh:

When they are excavating the digital ruins of our ancient society this post will be discovered and it will be clear why we were doomed...

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse... but this might be a helpful example ...
I am in graduate school for chemistry working at a top twenty University and my research advisor has brought in over hundreds of millions of dollars...

I got a 3.3 undergrad and a 3.7 in graduate school with a 35 MCAT plus three publications... my recommendations were pretty good (coming from my advisor... a big name)...

I'm still currently waitlisted at this school ( once again not harvard ) and I'm looking forward to attending the much more financially feasible in-state school where I got accepted. Moral of the story, not everything works out, EVEN IF everything is stacked on your side.

this post was soooooooooooo underrated

I have to agree with some of the other guys... you are fixated by the history of the name. What is it about Harvard you want?

I got a 3.5 undergrad, 3.3 grad, 21 and 19 on the Mcat 2 years ago. I want to go to Harvard medical school. Do you think it is worth it to do a post bacc and try to get a 3.9 GPA then take the mcat early next year and then apply to the 2009 cycle @ Harvard. I really want to go to Harvard MED. The past 7 years I just spent to much time working and supporting my family, I didn't realize how much I was hurting my education and my shot at getting into Harvard.

Can any one tell me the things I must do to get into Harvard Med? I'm willing to start over.

After residency, I want to match into Orthopedic surgery and I'm not sure how other schools will prepare me to match into that particular field. I know Harvard has the reputation for being the best.

I want to call troll on this one. However, just in case , I will take a second and be perfectly straight forward with you. You pretty much have no shot at Harvard and with those two mcat scores, your chances of any medical school aren't great. Right now I would focus on getting into any medical school, much less Harvard. I think that you need to worry about getting that mcat score up and then think about applying very broadly (i.e. DO and Caribbean schools) if you want to be a physician.

I want to call troll on this one. However, just in case , I will take a second and be perfectly straight forward with you. You pretty much have no shot at Harvard and with those two mcat scores, your chances of any medical school aren't great. Right now I would focus on getting into any medical school, much less Harvard. I think that you need to worry about getting that mcat score up and then think about applying very broadly (i.e. DO and Caribbean schools) if you want to be a physician.

OP hasn't posted for two years, so good advice but I think it'll be a bit lost on him. :thumbup:

Its one of the few quantitative measures we have, so people use it. I don't think anyone rightly believes that research dollars translates into pumping out the best doctors, but its an easy way to compare medical schools.

The ranking system should be based on the amount of money the school allocates towards educating the medical students.

The ranking system should be based on the amount of money the school allocates towards educating the medical students.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons has an endowment of 1.5 Billion. I wonder how much of the budget derived from that that goes to educating us?

I've never heard anything so sensible in my life. Research is great and all, but the vast majority of people in med school aren't going to make a career out of it. Most probably won't even do it at all during their careers. Still more only participate in research as a means to an end. Clinical training, however, is something that just about everyone will use extensively. Thanks to whoever bumped this dead thread for allowing Kaiv's wisdom pearl to shine.

This guy eventually become a medical assistant.

dont listen to anyone on this thread. listen to me. You are willing to start over? so DO IT. drive around your neighbor hood and find the most colorful preschool. enroll yourself. now, dont just be a normal kid, EXCEL in preschool. draw pictures better and faster than any of those ****** infants.

then, get into elementary school. Try to shield your face and hunch when you walk so that people dont get suspicious of your age. once again, EXCEL IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. dont just raise your hand, but KEEP IT RAISED, and if your hand gets tired, do a switcharoo, but drop your hand only AFTER the other one is raised.

during recess, dont just play kickball, BUT PLAY HARD. make sure you kick the ball farther and faster than any other ****** elementary school kid.

if you make it to 3rd grade, pick up an instrument. make sure you are the best.

when you go to middle school. EXCEL IN EVERYTHING. be better, faster, stronger, be all that you can be and all that army motto $hit. during gym class, WORK HARD. during class, WORK HARD. make sure you get A's in geography and pre-algebra (mutiplication can be very tricky). Also, if you can find time to read, make sure you read curious george, roald dahl, charlotte's web, etc etc.

if you make it to high school, make sure you make varsity football as a freshman. By now, all the other idiot kids will have caught up to you physically, so make sure you hit the gym. Also, as a freshman, get a SENIOR girlfriend. everyone will respek you after you hit that. Thats what getting into harvard is all about, RESPEK.

also, take MAD APs and do well in them. take your SAT as a sophmore. Get a 2400. Also, dont forget to become an EAGLE SCOUT. Join lots of club and become president of all the clubs and become varsity football captain as a sophmore. ull have mad RESPEK.

(by now, your balls will probably start to sag, so make sure to wear tighty whities UNDER your boxers so no1 can tell)

Hopefully you have MAD RESPEK, so you can apply to Harvard for undergrad. Make sure you apply early so you get in. After you get in, start volunteering at a Cancer clinic as like a filer or something. Take out their garbage, help the janitor, or something. This connnection will get you a lab research position in college.

At harvard university, double major in Biochemistry and Women's and Gender Studies. This is CRUCIAL because HMS will think you have mad diverse interests and stuff. Dont forget to graduate as a valedictorian and cure cancer. Make sure you get atleast a 44 on your mcats. I recommend getting a 45 just to be safe.

The road is long and hard, but you can do it. :thumbup: I believe in you.
truth. amazing. :idea: STICKY for sure- "How to get in to H Med: ABC's and Beyond"

Yeah this is one of the SDN gems. It's a shame that creativity and wit don't show up more often :(

I'm so blazed right now and this thread made me choke on my hot pocket.

It might be possible that this person is also factoring in the fact that they have a family to take care of which limits the number of schools they apply to due to geographical constraints.

oh no!! it was a post that convinced me to finally get an account though!

dont listen to anyone on this thread. listen to me. You are willing to start over? so DO IT. drive around your neighbor hood and find the most colorful preschool. enroll yourself. now, dont just be a normal kid, EXCEL in preschool. draw pictures better and faster than any of those ****** infants.

then, get into elementary school. Try to shield your face and hunch when you walk so that people dont get suspicious of your age. once again, EXCEL IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. dont just raise your hand, but KEEP IT RAISED, and if your hand gets tired, do a switcharoo, but drop your hand only AFTER the other one is raised.

during recess, dont just play kickball, BUT PLAY HARD. make sure you kick the ball farther and faster than any other ****** elementary school kid.

when you go to middle school. EXCEL IN EVERYTHING. be better, faster, stronger, be all that you can be and all that army motto $hit. during gym class, WORK HARD. during class, WORK HARD. make sure you get A's in geography and pre-algebra (mutiplication can be very tricky). Also, if you can find time to read, make sure you read curious george, roald dahl, charlotte's web, etc etc.

if you make it to high school, make sure you make varsity football as a freshman. By now, all the other idiot kids will have caught up to you physically, so make sure you hit the gym. Also, as a freshman, get a SENIOR girlfriend. everyone will respek you after you hit that. Thats what getting into harvard is all about, RESPEK.

also, take MAD APs and do well in them. take your SAT as a sophmore. Get a 2400. Also, dont forget to become an EAGLE SCOUT. Join lots of club and become president of all the clubs and become varsity football captain as a sophmore. ull have mad RESPEK.

(by now, your balls will probably start to sag, so make sure to wear tighty whities UNDER your boxers so no1 can tell)

Hopefully you have MAD RESPEK, so you can apply to Harvard for undergrad. Make sure you apply early so you get in. After you get in, start volunteering at a Cancer clinic as like a filer or something. Take out their garbage, help the janitor, or something. This connnection will get you a lab research position in college.

At harvard university, double major in Biochemistry and Women's and Gender Studies. This is CRUCIAL because HMS will think you have mad diverse interests and stuff. Dont forget to graduate as a valedictorian and cure cancer. Make sure you get atleast a 44 on your mcats. I recommend getting a 45 just to be safe.

A+ :laugh:

thread_hot.gif
New york study partner available
Views: 347
Posted By 07MCAT
icon1.png
New york study partner available

I am taking the January MCAT. I am available to study with a partner or in a group. Email me at [email protected] if you are open to the idea.

I wonder if anyone tried e-mailing him to check up on his current status. Who knows, maybe he actually did end up in medical school...

:laugh: @Bigman's post.

sdn definitely needs more posts like this.

bigman's post mad me laugh so hard i have tears drenching my entire face. that was epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.