Should I wear a suit or am I overdoing it?

Started by shaq786
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shaq786

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work at a retail store. And I talked to my district manager via email about job opportunities with the company as a pharmacist. And my district manager wanted to "sit down" with me. My district manager has never met me before. And the place where we are going to have discussion is at my home store. Should I wear a suit? I dont know if this is an interview or not, and I dont want to overdue it at the same time. What do you think?
 
I work at a retail store. And I talked to my district manager via email about job opportunities with the company as a pharmacist. And my district manager wanted to "sit down" with me. My district manager has never met me before. And the place where we are going to have discussion is at my home store. Should I wear a suit? I dont know if this is an interview or not, and I dont want to overdue it at the same time. What do you think?

What do you normally wear to work? Dress shirt and tie? If so, I think that's fine. I don't know that you need to wear a suit. If you wear something more casual to work normally, I'd upgrade to dress shirt and tie for this occasion.
 
What do you normally wear to work? Dress shirt and tie? If so, I think that's fine. I don't know that you need to wear a suit. If you wear something more casual to work normally, I'd upgrade to dress shirt and tie for this occasion.

I wear a button shirt or polo shirt and tuck it in with my dress pants.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work at a retail store. And I talked to my district manager via email about job opportunities with the company as a pharmacist. And my district manager wanted to "sit down" with me. My district manager has never met me before. And the place where we are going to have discussion is at my home store. Should I wear a suit? I dont know if this is an interview or not, and I dont want to overdue it at the same time. What do you think?

Dont wear a suite, but definitely you should dress up nicely (grooming, nice shirt tucked under...).
 
Nice and Neat. I don't think a suit is necessary. I really don't know what's your position/title at that store but a dress shirt and tie will definitely do it.

Besides... if you're planning to be a pharmacist at that company you definitely need to show a little bit of your enthusiasm & charisma 😀
Show it to the manager that you're serious about what you want and who knows that same manager can be the one who write you a nice "letter of recommendation" that will get you thru the door of pharmacy school.
Good luck!:luck:
 
I work at a retail store. And I talked to my district manager via email about job opportunities with the company as a pharmacist. And my district manager wanted to "sit down" with me. My district manager has never met me before. And the place where we are going to have discussion is at my home store. Should I wear a suit? I dont know if this is an interview or not, and I dont want to overdue it at the same time. What do you think?

Wear a suit. "Sit down" with you, I'd consider it an interview.
 
Since you've never met him before to know how formal/casual he is, I would wear a suit. The other option you have is to ask your PIC how you should dress. The PIC should know how formal/casual the DM is. In my opinion, you should wear a suit no matter what. The DM isn't going to hold it against you if you're overdressed, but they may hold it against you if you are underdressed. Good luck.
 
Everyone who says to dress nice because your boss will expect it, or that you need to show them you are serious, or whatever kind of crap is really trying to say dress nice to kiss your boss' ass. If you normally wear a shirt and tie to work, I wouldnt rule out the jacket. You could always just keep the jacket off to the side and when they show up and if they are wearing suits as well, you can slide over and go put it on real quick.
 
Everyone who says to dress nice because your boss will expect it, or that you need to show them you are serious, or whatever kind of crap is really trying to say dress nice to kiss your boss' ass. If you normally wear a shirt and tie to work, I wouldnt rule out the jacket. You could always just keep the jacket off to the side and when they show up and if they are wearing suits as well, you can slide over and go put it on real quick.
Or the opposite, wear the coat, and if the DM has long hair, a tye dye shirt and jeans, you can take off the jacket, man.
 
Everyone who says to dress nice because your boss will expect it, or that you need to show them you are serious, or whatever kind of crap is really trying to say dress nice to kiss your boss' ass. If you normally wear a shirt and tie to work, I wouldnt rule out the jacket. You could always just keep the jacket off to the side and when they show up and if they are wearing suits as well, you can slide over and go put it on real quick.

You can call it ass kissing, but really it's about showing respect. You don't show up to a wedding or a funeral in jeans because it says you don't care enough to go the extra mile.

Appearance does matter. Like it or not, that's life. Keep your lab coats washed, kids. Nothing says "unprofessional" like showing up to your first day of rotation with a dirty-ass lab coat. There's no excuse not to step it up.
 
You can call it ass kissing, but really it's about showing respect. You don't show up to a wedding or a funeral in jeans because it says you don't care enough to go the extra mile.

Appearance does matter. Like it or not, that's life. Keep your lab coats washed, kids. Nothing says "unprofessional" like showing up to your first day of rotation with a dirty-ass lab coat. There's no excuse not to step it up.

Agree with everything but the lab coat. IMO, the more worn out a lab coat gets, the more of a badge of honor/experience it becomes. I wonder if there's anyone out there who still wears the same lab coat they wore when they first started practicing.
 
Agree with everything but the lab coat. IMO, the more worn out a lab coat gets, the more of a badge of honor/experience it becomes. I wonder if there's anyone out there who still wears the same lab coat they wore when they first started practicing.

Spoken like a person whose obviously not broken one in. Taking pride in your appearance speaks volumes about you.

If the logic is difficult to follow... how about some composite risk analysis. What are the likely outcomes for showing up with a dirty / dilapidated coat. What are the likely outcomes for showing up with a clean / nicely pressed coat. The latter has a better outcome profile.
 
Agree with everything but the lab coat. IMO, the more worn out a lab coat gets, the more of a badge of honor/experience it becomes. I wonder if there's anyone out there who still wears the same lab coat they wore when they first started practicing.

We had some guys in the Navy who followed this same principle. They looked like dirtbags.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can call it ass kissing, but really it's about showing respect. You don't show up to a wedding or a funeral in jeans because it says you don't care enough to go the extra mile.

Appearance does matter. Like it or not, that's life. Keep your lab coats washed, kids. Nothing says "unprofessional" like showing up to your first day of rotation with a dirty-ass lab coat. There's no excuse not to step it up.

I will agree with that.
 
I hate dirty lab coats....they look terrible and are full of junk.

No lab coat/tie policy in the ICU.
 
For an interview, it is always better to be over dress than under dress. It shows you are serious about the position.
 
How do you clean a tie?
Good question. I've worn ties every day for 4 years of high school, and the past year and 1/2 of pharm school. Never have washed them unless it was getting a spot of lunch off of them, and that was just a splash of cold water in the sink. It's not like they're in contact with your body, getting sweaty or smelly, or that I'm pouring things all over the place as I'm working.
 
/s stands for end sarcasm... It pains me to know this meme is as old as the internet itself.

Oh boy. What's a meme?

I was kinda being sarcastic in that I was presenting the facts in a joking sort of way, but truthfully I have never "cleaned" a tie. They don't stink or look unclean, so who cares? They are separated from my skin by like 2-3 layers of clothing. I never thought about it before.

Now that I am thinking about it, I suppose I will have to clean them. I hope they will not be ruined by putting them through a wash cycle?

Thanks for explaining /s!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh boy. What's a meme?

I was kinda being sarcastic in that I was presenting the facts in a joking sort of way, but truthfully I have never "cleaned" a tie. They don't stink or look unclean, so who cares? They are separated from my skin by like 2-3 layers of clothing. I never thought about it before.

Now that I am thinking about it, I suppose I will have to clean them. I hope they will not be ruined by putting them through a wash cycle?

Thanks for explaining /s!

I didn't know what /s was either.

And don't put your ties in the washing machine!!!
 
I didn't know what /s was either.

And don't put your ties in the washing machine!!!

Now you are just being silly. Do you think I own a steam cleaner? I do not. And I certainly am not going to take them to a cleaners. I can't not wash them now that I am thinking about how nasty they are. So that leaves the washing machine. Of course I will use the gentle cycle, I am not crazy.

If there is an option I am not thinking about please share.
 
Now you are just being silly. Do you think I own a steam cleaner? I do not. And I certainly am not going to take them to a cleaners. I can't not wash them now that I am thinking about how nasty they are. So that leaves the washing machine. Of course I will use the gentle cycle, I am not crazy.

If there is an option I am not thinking about please share.


All my husband's neckties (and yes... I looked, just for you) are "Dry Clean Only" or "Spot Clean Only." He doesn't clean his, but he also doesn't wear them to work so they aren't worn very often. He said that it's recommended to have them cleaned annually by a dry cleaner that has the proper equipment to clean neckties.

I verified this at this site: http://www.neckties.com/content/styleguide.html

They say that regular dry cleaning processes can harm the color and shine of the necktie fabric. I know that this article isn't terribly helpful since you don't want to go to the cleaners, but it does explain how water is harmful to silk neckties. I also doubt that you'd get them properly re-shaped and pressed after soaking them in the washing machine.

Here's a user submitted article on cleaning NON silk neckties: http://www.ehow.com/how_2198561_clean-a-necktie.html It sounds like it might work. I'd try it on a non-expensive tie first.

I also tried to find out whether home dry cleaning kits (like Dryel) would work on ties. No luck. I have a few clothes that are dry clean only that I use Dryel on between visits to the cleaners, but I still take the clothes to the actual cleaners every 2 to 3 wearings because they do a better job and they press them better than I can at home. I'm not sure how Dryel would do on neckties.

Good luck!
 
All my husband's neckties (and yes... I looked, just for you) are "Dry Clean Only" or "Spot Clean Only." He doesn't clean his, but he also doesn't wear them to work so they aren't worn very often. He said that it's recommended to have them cleaned annually by a dry cleaner that has the proper equipment to clean neckties.

I verified this at this site: http://www.neckties.com/content/styleguide.html

They say that regular dry cleaning processes can harm the color and shine of the necktie fabric. I know that this article isn't terribly helpful since you don't want to go to the cleaners, but it does explain how water is harmful to silk neckties. I also doubt that you'd get them properly re-shaped and pressed after soaking them in the washing machine.

Here's a user submitted article on cleaning NON silk neckties: http://www.ehow.com/how_2198561_clean-a-necktie.html It sounds like it might work. I'd try it on a non-expensive tie first.

I also tried to find out whether home dry cleaning kits (like Dryel) would work on ties. No luck. I have a few clothes that are dry clean only that I use Dryel on between visits to the cleaners, but I still take the clothes to the actual cleaners every 2 to 3 wearings because they do a better job and they press them better than I can at home. I'm not sure how Dryel would do on neckties.

Good luck!

Wow, thank for the info. Dryel is a good thought, I will let you know if that is what pick.

I don't own silk ties so no worries about that.

The sink method also sounds easy enough, although I don't know what "wool cleaner" is. I can probably buy that at Walmart, right?

I am relieved that ties are only recommended to be cleaned once a year. I think I can handle that. :laugh:
 
Wow, thank for the info. Dryel is a good thought, I will let you know if that is what pick.

I don't own silk ties so no worries about that.

The sink method also sounds easy enough, although I don't know what "wool cleaner" is. I can probably buy that at Walmart, right?

I am relieved that ties are only recommended to be cleaned once a year. I think I can handle that. :laugh:

Wool cleaner is Woolite - I get the store brand. It's what I use for most of our delicate fabrics.